VOGONS

First post, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

All currently available Socket 5/7 coolers I can find have these kind of heatsink retention mechanism which clip in opposing hooks on the socket:

s-l400.png

But I remember a time (maybe before) where heatsinks were retained by a spring steel...well...spring. It clipped on the non-opposing hooks on the socket. I would like to replicate that but I need a pattern to follow...does someone have that on hand and can take some pictures?

Thanks

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 1 of 4, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally found an image of such a spring-based retention (which is upside down):

10241-0.jpg

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 2 of 4, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...and this I replicated is as best as I could with 1mm spring steel, works nice!

IMG-1262.jpg
IMG-1263.jpg
IMG-1261.jpg

The initial problem I was facing was a half-dead fan on an Nx586 board. This fan has a proprietary and really bad mounting mechanism and the cooler wasn't big enough to begin with. So I could either ghetto-install a new fan on this already shady cooler, or adapt a good Socket 7 cooler + fan assembly.

Reply 3 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still have some NOS of these you are looking for.
Let me dig for them tonight and I may send you a sample.
These are allways a good solution if the main opposing hooks got damaged somehow.

Reply 4 of 4, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that would be nice! Once they were everywhere but I can't get my hands on one now 🙁