VOGONS

First post, by Fireflyx91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've recently acquired this vintage machine. I was told it powers on but since I'm away from home, I have no means to test it.

So it's a Rem station? I've never heard of these computers before and I can't find any information about them online. I'll probably be able to test it or take it apart next week but in the meantime I was wondering if anybody here had come across these or knew anything about them?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

'rem corp' may have been a small company long lost

you probably searched a lot but maybe search pc magazine scans, they might have advertised

what kind of spec? It's kind in interesting, looks late 80's early 90's, like a server

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never heard of the brand either. Which part of the world is it (or are you) from?

Judging by looks it's a late 386/early 486 workstation/server that has been upgraded during its lifespan (that CD Rom drive looks newer than the floppies). Do you have a pic of its rear? That would show ports and possibly more info.

Reply 3 of 5, by Fireflyx91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2024-01-15, 18:42:

'rem corp' may have been a small company long lost

you probably searched a lot but maybe search pc magazine scans, they might have advertised

what kind of spec? It's kind in interesting, looks late 80's early 90's, like a server

I'm not too sure on the spec until I actually get it running or get inside it.

I thought about late 80s. Are there any good archives for PC magazines online anywhere? They'd probably be an interesting read

dionb wrote on 2024-01-15, 18:52:

Never heard of the brand either. Which part of the world is it (or are you) from?

Judging by looks it's a late 386/early 486 workstation/server that has been upgraded during its lifespan (that CD Rom drive looks newer than the floppies). Do you have a pic of its rear? That would show ports and possibly more info.

I'm in the UK and I got it from someone over here but not sure whether it's ever travelled far.

I thought so for the CD drive being added at some point later since they weren't really commonplace when I'm guessing this thing was new. Here's the rear with no shortage of expansion slots and a nice bit of rusting around the fan grill 😂

Attachments

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding what it was once: someone had the same question about a similar machine a few months back on Reddit. In fact I think it's the exact same one (see the horizontal scratch/scuff mark on the lower right of the front bezel). No more info though there...

But looking at the back, whatever it was, it isn't anymore now. That empty slot cover up top and non-matching one below it suggests it used to have more cards and indeed a motherboard with a LOT of slots, suggesting a motherboard with fewer onboard functionalities. Now it just has a VGA card, sound card (looks like SB 2.0 or SB Pro (1 or 2)) and what could be an I/O card, but I suspect is just a serial+parallel bracket for onboard I/O. My guess is that this was somebody's 386 workstation/server that has been upgraded to a pretty generic early Pentium board (50% chance of i430FX chipset, 25% chance of i430VX) and donated to then children for gaming.

Reply 5 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking though old British PC magazines from the early 1990s would be your best bet.

I also have an obscure British OEM computer from the 1990s. I was able to find its original specs and price on a hardware database included on a PC Today cover disk from 1992. (I can't find any "REM Corp" machines in the database though. Your machine probably postdates this.)

ETA: It might be useful to list all the companies that have 386/486 computers listed in this 1992 database:

Ace Computers
AGATECH
Anglo European Systems
Applied Micros
Apricot Computers
AST Europe
Atomstyle
Base Computers / Base Computer Services
Brother
Cavendish Electronics
Centerprise
Challenger Business Systems
CIC Computers
Colossus Computers / Colossus Computer
Comet Data
Commodore
CompuSys
Computings
Dan Technology
Dell
Dolan Computer Systems
Dram Electronics
DS Computers
Elonex
Express On Line
Flag Technology
Gandlake Software
GHS Technology
Giga Computers
Graham Jacobs
Hewlett-Packard
Hi-Grade Computers
Hobbykit
Jupiter Computers
Kamco
KJD Computer Systems
KT Computers
Locland Computers
Lofgren
MCB
Mesh Computers
Micro Corporation
Micro Mart Europe / Micromart (Europe)
Microlight
Microsolutions
MJN Technology
MSA Computer Centre
Multiplex International
NAGA Electronics
Opal
Panrix Electronix
PC Now
Pericom Technology
Puters
Silicon Valley
Simply Computers
SMC Computers
Sphinx Microsystems
Stefanali Bespoke Systems
Supreme Computers
Show last 7 lines
TGC Computer Products
Triumph Adler
Tulip Computers
Viglen
Western Systems
Woodshome

ETA2: This is the British PC Today, not the American one. It was formerly called Personal Computing or PC and was published by Database Publications/Europress.

Is this too much voodoo?