Reply 20 of 23, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wierd_w wrote on 2024-01-19, 12:53:
Yes. That looks like a good hardware modem. […]
Show full quote

Yes. That looks like a good hardware modem.

V.90 bis AND x2

There were 3 standards for 56k modem, and v.90 was the best one. KFlex was the 3rd one, and was rather maligned.

But if you really want a diamond multimedia card... this is also a jumpered modem...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254461904732?hash=it … ABk9SR6iGzpykYw

Warning that it is connexant chipset though! It could be a winmodem in disguise.

The USR modem is almost certainly better.

Thanks! I had almost given up on a Diamond modem. I will research it and see if I can find any info. I am rebuilding my old card collection, so if I can swing it, I might grab a couple of modems to test.

Reply 21 of 23, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An old post on another forum site from around 2000 has someone claiming that Diamond Supra Express modems are hardware modems, and Supra Max modems are winmodems. Anything requiring a Pentium 100 and up is supposed to be a winmodem.

Reply 22 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-18, 12:43:
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-18, 05:44:

As long as the PC supports "fast" 16550 UART I would have thought external is more desirable? flashy lights are sexy 😀

Out of interest what are you using the modems for? just the BBS's or some project?

I do want to visit some BBSs and have considered starting my own. I think that it would be cool to do so! I remember chatting with multiple people on a bbs back before we had the internet and social media. I think it would be a nostalgic and cool alternative to today's internet. I used to talk with people via mIRC and I read that many people still communicate that way. I also want to play around with old school multiplayer games. I used to play Doom, Wing Commander Armada, and some other games via modem. Later on, I bought a serial cable and a null modem adapter and friends would bring their PCs to my house and we would play Warcraft, Blood, and Duke Nukem. Many people in my area have cable phone. I used our cable phone line to call a bbs, so now I want to experiment with old school dial-up gaming, hehehe. I also want a modem in my 486 which works in DOS and Windows 3.x, for "completeness," especially if I can find a Diamond Multimedia ISA modem which works under those environments.

Because of my motorcycle accident a few years ago, I have a lot of time on my hands and often tinker with my retro machines to reminisce and to pass the time. It is why I make so many posts on Vogons, asking questions and what not, and do all of these anachronistic projects (such as my plan to make midi game and "professional" music with these old systems. I also plan to write, using old word processors on the 486 and on one of the Pentium 3s. My office/library is like a museum and 80s-90s sanctum, save for my modern TV which I use as a monitor with my modern main system. I have a lot of little projects in the pipeline, such as creating a local line just for the retro machines with an ftp server to more easily transfer files.

I get it, All my PC's are able to play network games but that's not much help if not in the same house plus out of my games library Wackey Wheels has no support for IPX just modem/null modem.
Besides playing over external modem gives you more flashy lights to look at as well 😀
Also may want to mess around with some server dial in setups one day.

This is a project on my list of things to do. by pure chance I got 1 external modem and the exact ATA used in the video in a big clear out at work few months back. Still want a 2nd external modem but have some internal PCI I can start with.
https://youtu.be/EGFIEF6siIE?si=8DBottm6eydHoFLV