VOGONS

First post, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

My family used to have a PC that I am assuming was maybe a 386 (but possibly newer..?) from 94-99 ish. It was probably from a generic PC manufacturer, but I am not sure.

I have hardly any photos, so I am posting a snip of a home movie. It has 4 drive bays, was a desktop form factor, and I believe was running a SB Pro 2 or SB 16.
We used Win 3.11 on it as well.

I'm just hoping for any leads as to what it could possibly be. I would even settle for a pic or confirmation of the type of case, because I would love to recreate it.

It also has a chunky power switch on the side.

We used what appears to be an IBM keyboard, but might be unrelated. Doesn't seem to be an official IBM machine...

Would appreciate any insight, or if any of you have similar cases lying about, I would love to know!

Best,
Matt

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see an IBM XT clone here, and with the help of Google I come to the conclusion this might be a LASER TURBO XT.
The power switch location is iconic for this XT-class PCs.

Edit: It pretty sure is the Laser Turbo XT-2

https://www.homecomputermuseum.nl/en/collecti … ser-turbo-xt-2/

I just wonder if the internals were upgraded to 386 or maybe even 486 or Pentium class afterwards as I really can't imagine using a XT in the late 90s for daily use..

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much for the brochure and link!! Now I just need to source one of these beauties one day. I saw Adrian (from Adrian’s Digital Basement) covered one (a bit worse for wear though). So cool.

Reply 5 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah agree it is most likely a Laser XT/2. Originally it came with two 5.25" floppy drives and HD but had a 8086 cpu like the XT/3 (they used same motherboard).

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun