VOGONS

First post, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Building Windows 95 OSR2.1 system around Asus Tx-97X ver 2.03 mb(BIOS 0108x-latest version), 96 MB RAM, Number Nine 9FX Reality 332 graphics card and Turtle Beach Montego sound card.
No issues reported in Device Manager. However, the mb BIOS is not reporting CPU fan speed, temperatures or monitored voltages. Chassis fan and power supply fan error is OK since these are not monitored but . Looked through the mb manual for maybe jumper settings or BIOS options but that didn't help.
Is the mb defective? I don't understand why I'm seeing all these errors.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe a bad flash? Have you tryed reflash the bios?

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be a bad flash/corruption as suggested or the chip responsible for the monitoring died.
Post hq pics of the board.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First commandment of troubleshooting: Thou shalt check voltages.

See if the monitoring chip has good Vcc and GND.

Also unplug all the fan headers. I have seen a bad fan make monitoring ICs freak out before.

Reply 5 of 9, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All chips are cool to the touch. Checked fan headers and no change.
According to TX97-X ver 3 manual (I have version 2 mb), the mb has an optional chip, LM78 Hardware Monitor chip. My mb doesn't have that. Googled the chip and it seems to be a microprocessor for temp and voltage monitoring. I kind of wonder since I don't have have the chip mounted that would explain why BIOS is not displaying those parameters.

Reply 6 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drew2020 wrote on 2024-01-19, 21:41:

All chips are cool to the touch. Checked fan headers and no change.
According to TX97-X ver 3 manual (I have version 2 mb), the mb has an optional chip, LM78 Hardware Monitor chip. My mb doesn't have that. Googled the chip and it seems to be a microprocessor for temp and voltage monitoring. I kind of wonder since I don't have have the chip mounted that would explain why BIOS is not displaying those parameters.

Yes.
I replaced a LM80 recently and that's what they do.

Reply 8 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drew2020 wrote on 2024-01-20, 00:30:

Thanks.
Is is possible to add an LM78 to the mb? Sure would be nice to have full h/w monitoring

Yes. Worst case it won't work.
Usually they have resistors to check and regulate voltage, for fans too.
It could be hard to figure it out, best is to find a board that has one installed and check the differences.