VOGONS

First post, by Mechanicbot28

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found this eBay listing with a lot of some old ISA cards, and saw this. This card appears to be a multi io controller, but instead of IDE, it has this 40 pin connector labeled “Winchester”. I have no idea what it is, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    File size
    402.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might be, in some parts of the world, HDDs are still called Winchester disks.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, definitely Hard Disk Controller, IDE.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the time "winchester drive" was another name for hard disk drive.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 5 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This was yes, and it is a real IDE. Compaq was coy with terms back in the day. This does same thing with L40SX. I had this choice or Compaq LTE 386s/20 and I knew Compaq used standard IDE and this won out. Later on I found out L40SX use one too. But I was happy with LTE 386s/20 for my college in 1993.

Oh, I do have the same card in storage and yes, it works. I had one once back in 1994, bought it off from someone in college and used it.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elszgensa wrote on 2024-01-19, 21:49:

So... not a gun port. Disappointing.

Right, it was named after a rifle.

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/winchester-disk

Introduced in 1973 as the [IBM] model 3340, the drive had one permanent and one removable spindle, each holding 30MB. The "30-30" storage capacities led to the Winchester nickname after the Winchester 30-30 rifle.

Is this too much voodoo?