VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am losing my mind and missing something stupidly obvious?

I'm trying to get a 486 VLB build going. Everything goes fine, except I can't get a damn serial mouse working.

- Tried two different ATX power supplies (with an AT converter), and measured all voltages fine in both cases including -12V (one gives only -11.25, but the other gives -11.90 and same problem)
- Tried two different Socket3 VLB motherboards (QDI 486VP3 and Soyo-025K)
- Tried with a DX25 and a DX33, with both 25 and 33 bus speeds
- Tried VLB WS 0 and 1
- Tried 3 different VLB IO + 1 ISA controllers
- Tried 2 different known working Logitech mice
- AMIBIOS "summary" table during boot shows Serial: 3F8

Cutemouse 1.9 gives me:

Installed at COM1 (03F8h/IRQ4) in Mouse Systems mode

...and the mouse doesn't work. Also tried to change the jumpers on the IO cards for other COM ports, other base addresses and IRQ, etc..
Logitech 6.00 and 6.50 say the mouse is not responding. Microsoft Mouse says no mouse found. Sigma, similarly to Cutemouse, says it initiated mouse on COM1/3F8 but it still doesn't work.
I have other VLB builds working with a Logitech serial mouse, as and never had that issue before, at this point it feels like I've swapped every possible element and thoroughly tested everything 1 by 1 and can't make any sense of it.

I'm all out of ideas and need to take a break. Please help my sanity 😀 cheers

Reply 1 of 7, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the mouse working on any system? Often mice cables get damaged. Run CheckIt serial ports test without loopback and see how it goes. If you can make a loopback connector it would be even greater since it will fully test the RS232 port.

Reply 2 of 7, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, tested many good working mice.

So this is really puzzling to put it mildly...after more tests, in fact with the ISA controller the mouse is detected as Mouse Systems Mode by ctmouse (alternatively, Logitech drivers 6.50 also finds it fine) and works fine in CheckIt Pro, FastTracker 2 and Space Quest 3. Went back to one VLB controller (QD6580 - only change in the whole config, everything is the same but swap the ISA IO to VLB IO) and the mouse is also detected as Mouse Systems Mode by ctmouse but Logitech doesn't find it, and it doesn't work at all in anything. Tested another VLB controller (Prime 2C) and same thing. Ran the whole CheckIt Pro 1.12 Serial test with the VLB and everything passes fine 🙁 no loopback.

I have a female DB9 connector I could build a loopback connector from, but googling for it gave me different wirings so would appreciate a confirmation of the proper one please.

This is really turning me crazy. This is too ridiculous and feels like I must be missing something obvious.

Reply 4 of 7, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn’t an « enable PS/2 mouse » jumper set on your mainboard, which would disable a serial mouse support or create a conflict of some sort? It shouldn’t…and on 2 different mainboard it’s very strange.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 5 of 7, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2024-01-20, 22:04:

Ctmouse will report a "mouse systems" mouse even when nothing is plugged in to the serial port at all

Indeed and why I initially thought it wasn't working even with the ISA IO card... used to the "Logitech" mode coming up when all is fine.
No it's not a jumper, and the Soyo 025K motherboard I'm focusing on right now I've definitely used for a very long time with a VLB IO, serial mouse and ctmouse 1.9 in the past...

Reply 6 of 7, by st31276a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the serial port on the vlb card or on a breakout cable? I have seen different pinouts being used for these, perhaps that is the problem. Otherwise there might be a problem with the 232 line driver or receiver on it, since it passes internal tests.