VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can an NVIDA Riva TNT2 Ultra 32MB from creative be installed in an ASUS P5A-B rev 1.04 with an AMD AMD K6-III+ 550 MHZ processor without destroying the motherboard? I have read that it uses too much power and damages the motherboard. Is this correct

Reply 1 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It takes one wire soldered between power connector and AGP slot to fix potential power problems as long as you are using ATX.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 5, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a power problem. I would like to know if I can safely put the NVIDA RIVA TNT 2 ULTRA 32MB in the AGP slot of the P5A-B rev 1.04 without breaking everything. I have an ATX 300 watt power supply in it. the NVIDIA RIVA TNT 16MB AGP and the NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 MODEL 64 32MB work fine on the motherboard.

Reply 3 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If tnt2 works then ultra should too, difference in power requirements were miniscule on the order of couple watts. But if it doesnt then solution is very simple.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 5, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-01-21, 20:20:

If tnt2 works then ultra should too, difference in power requirements were miniscule on the order of couple watts. But if it doesnt then solution is very simple.

The TNT2 Ultra is more like a detuned Geforce. 128bit memory, high CPU & GPU clocks

How can high load on the AGP port can damage anything? At most the PC will reset when running high power tasks.