VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Updated 02/26/2024:

SSD issues have been solved. Solution was to set the PIO Mode to 3 in the BIOS. Proceeding with installs of various operating systems.

Updated 02/24/2024:

Started trying to set up quad boot system with BootIt Bare Metal. Have run into issues with the Windows 95 and 98 SE setup programs failing due to "General failure reading drive C" errors.

Details in this post: Re: Quad boot with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (DOS / Win 95 / Win 98SE / Win XP)

Original post:

I'm planning a multi-boot system with four operating systems: DOS 6.22, Windows 95, Windows 98SE, and Windows XP.

Partitions are planned as follows:

Changed plans and went with multiple drives for each OS.

C: - 2GB FAT16 - DOS 6.22
C: - 32GB FAT32 - Windows 95
C: - 128GB FAT32 - Windows 98 SE
C: - 500GBNTFS - Windows XP

The idea is to have each OS on its own dedicated primary partition.

Based on some primarily research my primary requirements are:

1) Plain text boot menu (e.g. no Plop, GAG, etc.)
2) Auto partition hiding

I've looked into OSL2000, Smart Boot Manager and Boot-Us as potential options. I know OSL2000 and Boot-Us require paid licenses; not sure if it's still possible to buy a license for those?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Second question is order of OS install. Is there any preferred order of installing these operating systems or if I am booting directly into each partition individually, does it even matter?

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-02-27, 23:57. Edited 11 times in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 57, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CRD covered a boot manager for DOS/Win9x little while ago, it uses the GRUB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gEDUigoXw

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 57, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity, why are you looking to multiboot DOS, WIN95, and WIN98? Are there any specific programs that only work on 95 and not 98? Is this just to experience the differences between the OSes?

Reply 3 of 57, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second GRUB. It's used with Linux. In case you didn't know, Linux is unequivocally the only usable thing for anything and anyone. You should try it!

Sorry. Had to tease you after seeing your other post (-:

Reply 4 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-24, 18:04:

Out of curiosity, why are you looking to multiboot DOS, WIN95, and WIN98? Are there any specific programs that only work on 95 and not 98? Is this just to experience the differences between the OSes?

I'm currently experimenting with a build to see how much reasonable overlap with hardware can be achieved with different OS from DOS to XP. This is stemming from this other discussion here: What is the fastest practical DOS build?

Since I plan to do this with a 1 TB drive, I've got ample space for extra partitions for DOS and Win 95.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 5 of 57, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Putting aside the boot manager for a second - I don't 100% remember off the top of my head whether the hdd size limits were about partition sizes (addressing relative to the start of the partition), or absolute hdd sizes (addressing relative to the start of the device) but I think it's the latter. You might want to look into that, since you might need to adapt (e.g. win98 max 128gb -> w98 partition size (128-32-2) = 94gb so as not to go beyond the 128 marker on the hdd). Oh and subtract a few more sectors used by the MBR too... Or use rloew's limit removing patches and do whatever.

Now, back to the original topic.

Reply 6 of 57, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-01-24, 18:50:

Putting aside the boot manager for a second - I don't 100% remember off the top of my head whether the hdd size limits were about partition sizes (addressing relative to the start of the partition), or absolute hdd sizes (addressing relative to the start of the device) but I think it's the latter. You might want to look into that, since you might need to adapt (e.g. win98 max 128gb -> w98 partition size (128-32-2) = 94gb so as not to go beyond the 128 marker on the hdd). Oh and subtract a few more sectors used by the MBR too... Or use rloew's limit removing patches and do whatever.

Now, back to the original topic.

This is a good point. I have a system that multi-boots 9 operating systems using 3 drives and getting all of the partitions in the right place to satisfy all of the operating systems... let's just say it was a challenge.

There is also the issue that you can't have more than 4 primary partitions with MBR on a drive. One can be extended and contain many logical partitions, but I don't think you can boot any of those OSs from a logical partition (correct me if I'm wrong please!). So as far as I see it you have one operating system too many to fit on a single MBR drive.

I'm a big fan of PowerQuest Bootmagic because it's what I've always used. The downside with it is you can only hide primary partitions, which might be a concern if you want to hide some of your small FAT16 partitions from say your XP install.

Reply 7 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elszgensa wrote on 2024-01-24, 18:50:

That's good information to have.

If that's the case, I can easily adjust partition sizes to fit within those limits. And if I need to put the extra DOS FAT16 extended partitions upfront as well, I can do so.

So something like: 2 (FAT16) + 2 (FAT16) + 2 (FAT16) + 16 (FAT32) + 100 (FAT32)

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 8 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-01-24, 19:31:

There is also the issue that you can't have more than 4 primary partitions with MBR on a drive. One can be extended and contain many logical partitions, but I don't think you can boot any of those OSs from a logical partition (correct me if I'm wrong please!). So as far as I see it you have one operating system too many to fit on a single MBR drive.

I'm planning only 4 operating systems, so that should work, shouldn't it?

I'm a big fan of PowerQuest Bootmagic because it's what I've always used. The downside with it is you can only hide primary partitions, which might be a concern if you want to hide some of your small FAT16 partitions from say your XP install.

Keeping them exposed to the other systems might be okay, since it would let me transfer files between operating systems.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 9 of 57, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-24, 20:18:
I'm planning only 4 operating systems, so that should work, shouldn't it? […]
Show full quote

Keeping them exposed to the other systems might be okay, since it would let me transfer files between operating systems.

You can only have four partition entries on an MBR partition table.

That means four primary
or three primary & extended, the extended one can in turn again have four more partition entries, i think... it's been too long.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 10 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2024-01-24, 20:34:

That means four primary
or three primary & extended, the extended one can in turn again have four more partition entries, i think... it's been too long.

Ah, I misunderstood the prior post. I get it now.

The extended partition isn't necessary in this case so I can do without.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 13 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-24, 18:07:

I second GRUB. It's used with Linux. In case you didn't know, Linux is unequivocally the only usable thing for anything and anyone. You should try it!

I run Linux on a Raspberry Pi, does that count? 😉

😁

(I will check out GRUB though.)

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 14 of 57, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-25, 00:53:
I run Linux on a Raspberry Pi, does that count? ;) […]
Show full quote
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-24, 18:07:

I run Linux on a Raspberry Pi, does that count? 😉

😁

(I will check out GRUB though.)

Running it on your pi is a good start. It's only a matter of time until we get you to migrate your other machines to Linux (-:

Reply 15 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I'm currently rethinking my partition strategy to split the operating systems on two drives as follows:

1 TB SSD:

C:\ 16GB FAT32 - Windows 95 (Primary)
C:\ 100GB FAT32 - Windows 98 SE (Primary)
C:\ 500GBNTFS - Windows XP (Primary)

4 GB CF Card:

C:\ 2GB FAT16 - DOS (Primary)
D:\ 2GB FAT16 (Extended/Logical)

Since each drive would have its own MBR, I'm assuming this should work. I could then add an extended partition to the main 1 TB drive if I wanted to.

Any feedback on this?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 16 of 57, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2024-01-24, 20:34:
You can only have four partition entries on an MBR partition table. […]
Show full quote
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-24, 20:18:
I'm planning only 4 operating systems, so that should work, shouldn't it? […]
Show full quote

That means four primary

I'm pretty sure you can have virtually unlimited extended partitions. Think of it in terms of the main extended partition being split into two, the second of which is in turn split into two, and so on.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 17 of 57, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_boot_record tells you more about extended partitions and the logical drives they contain. Each logical drives partition record (much like the physical drive's MBR) contains a pointer to the next logical drive.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 18 of 57, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-30, 22:22:

Since each drive would have its own MBR, I'm assuming this should work.

Any feedback on this?

Do note that doing it this way, you'll be going through the BIOS' boot device selection a lot, which you may or may not mind. If you do, you need to pick a bootloader than can "jump" from one device to another (say, BIOS loads bl from HDD, which would then need to pivot to CF if you want DOS). Fwiw, Grub can do this no sweat; no clue about others.

Reply 19 of 57, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

System Commander is very hacky. Check the CRD video posted above to see that in action. Boot Magic is far superior. I use V7 (I think) on my Dos 6.22/Win 95/Win98SE machine and it's very slick and period correct.