VOGONS

First post, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A relative got in touch recently to say they were chucking away an old machine they found in the loft, and did I want it. My ears pricked up a little when they said it was from 2003ish, that's about the last period of "retro" I'm interested in, anything past mid-XP era and I'm out.

Machine was dead on arrival:

AMD Athlon XP 2000
EPOX 8RDA+ motherboard
512mb RAM (2 x 256mb)
Gainward GeForce FX5200 AGP8X 128mb
HDD
DVD drive

99% sure it's the mobo that's dead, there are lots of capacitors that are blown and leaking out of the top (I understand this was common with this board). The case is a generic bodge case but it'll do, the PSU however I refuse to even try... some no-brand jobbie that I assume came with the bodge case.

I would like to use the rest to knock together a cheap early/mid XP gaming machine, so to start I'm looking pickup a cheap Socket A motherboard to pair with the Athlon XP 2000, and a suitable PSU. I would be grateful if anyone could recommened any solid motherboards back then that are populer for retro builds, and what kind of PSU I need to be looking for (I'm concerned about voltage on different rails etc., not something I can remember from back then!). I'll keep the FX5200 for now but maybe upgrade when I've got this thing back to life.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 8, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To keep it simple I'd recommend a S478/Pentium 4 machine instead. While later Socket A motherboards often used 12V power, S478 had that as standard. This way you can use any new power supply and not worry about rails.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look into older Enermax or Seasonics from around 2003 up to 2007. They were about the last I remember being beefy enough to drive Athlon XPs.

And defo recap that mainboard.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 8, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2024-01-28, 13:34:

Look into older Enermax or Seasonics from around 2003 up to 2007. They were about the last I remember being beefy enough to drive Athlon XPs.

And defo recap that mainboard.

Perfect, thanks! Regards the motherboard I'll be looking for a replacement, appreciate any thoughts on particular models or even chipsets to look for (or avoid!).

Reply 4 of 8, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a pair of abit kw7 boards with via chipsets from that era that are still going strong. got xp 2500+ bartons overclocked to 400mhz fsb. is your xp 2000+ a palomino or thoroughbred? palominos will run stock in kt7a boards with an isa slot.

a modern psu will work so long as it has a decently rated 5v rail. i don't think you have to worry about -5v without isa slots. i use an evga 450w bronze psu which i think has -5v anyway.

Reply 5 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since Socket A motherboards were manufactured in the midst of the capacitor plague, I find a lot of them are unreliable. Even boards with caps that appear physically fine can still have bad caps.

If you are buying a Socket A motherboard, I'd recommend one that has either been properly refurbished (e.g. recapped) or at least one that has been tested and confirmed working.

For PSU because of the high 5V requirement, you can either look for older working PSUs that put out decent amps on the 5V rail (e.g. 25A or more) or modern PSU that do the same.

I have an Athlon XP 2000+ build using a modern Seasonic Focus GX-1000. It puts out 25A on the 5V rail. This is higher than most modern PSUs which typically max out at 20A.

Older PSUs from that era should put out 30A or more.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 8, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2024-01-28, 16:31:

i have a pair of abit kw7 boards with via chipsets from that era that are still going strong. got xp 2500+ bartons overclocked to 400mhz fsb. is your xp 2000+ a palomino or thoroughbred? palominos will run stock in kt7a boards with an isa slot.

a modern psu will work so long as it has a decently rated 5v rail. i don't think you have to worry about -5v without isa slots. i use an evga 450w bronze psu which i think has -5v anyway.

Fantastic thanks, I have a spare modern Corsair HX520w PSU which is rated 24a on the 5v rail - should be fine then? I'm not sure what the XP 2000 is, I'll run a check on the code.

Reply 7 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As @stanwebber suggested - ABIT KW7.

If I may add a few to be on the look for:

-Epox 8RDA6 Pro
-ABIT NF7
-MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR
-Soltek SL-75FRN2-L

Apart from the last one, most of them should be easy to find (well, maybe not so much the ABIT - I couldn't find any in my country anymore...).
Soltek would be the hardest to find - I don't think I've seen another golden Soltek (or even pink, for that matter - it came in either gold or pink) pop up in quite a long time.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 8 of 8, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jimnastics wrote on 2024-01-28, 16:52:

Fantastic thanks, I have a spare modern Corsair HX520w PSU which is rated 24a on the 5v rail - should be fine then? I'm not sure what the XP 2000 is, I'll run a check on the code.

24a should be ok. athlon xp tdp ranges from the mid 30's (low voltage model) all the way up to 80w so not all are equal. the xp 2000+ you have is either 70w (palomino) or 60.3w tdp depending on the generation.