VOGONS

First post, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just wanted to make a thread because I found some old hardware I've been looking for on a site called Kahlon. I'd never heard of this site before and obviously am cautious about giving my CC info to any old website.

Does anyone have good experience with this site, or with any online Marketplaces that aren't Amazon/Newegg/eBay et al?

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have purchased quite a few items from starmicroinc net over the last decade. Never received a bad part or wrong part but mostly bought cpu's and ram....
example: Got my Q9650 and heatsink from them and it has worked perfectly for years now. Will check my receipts and see what other places I had good purchases from... (other than Mouser, Digikey, etc)

ps: how can you be a member since 2013 and have only 97 posts ? Inquiring minds want to know 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly it's not worth it for me to stray from eBay. eBay prices are inflated, but they have the best buyer protections. And I have a dedicated virtual credit card setup for those purchases for security and tracking.

Reply 5 of 5, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The other thing with eBay is once you've found one or two suppliers you trust you can confidently make repeat purchases, ask them what they have coming up, etc. You build a little network of contacts which comes in handy when you want something specific since you might get it before it's listed. Most of those types of sellers I've built a relationship with now are all like us - enthusiasts, retro nerds, just enjoying recycling old hardware and getting it into the hands of people will continue to enjoy it.