VOGONS

Unreliable serial mice

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-02, 19:02:
For a normal cable resistance value, those values are a bit too high. your cable is suspect. From my own experience, where the […]
Show full quote

For a normal cable resistance value, those values are a bit too high. your cable is suspect.
From my own experience, where the cable enters the mouse tends to be prone to cable breakage, that or the connector side. The two places were the cables tends to be bent and stretched in a 90° angle.

I recently recovered a broken microsoft mouse (made by mitsumi) and compared the resistance values for that one with yours and all resistance values are less than 1 ohm.
The pins on the serial connector are the same.

edit: try measuring the resistance while playing/bending the cable at those points mentioned.

I think we have a winner. The GND cable varies up to 500 Ohm while bending.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 21 of 24, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-02-02, 21:53:
For a normal cable resistance value, those values are a bit too high. your cable is suspect. From my own experience, where the […]
Show full quote

For a normal cable resistance value, those values are a bit too high. your cable is suspect.
From my own experience, where the cable enters the mouse tends to be prone to cable breakage, that or the connector side. The two places were the cables tends to be bent and stretched in a 90° angle.

I recently recovered a broken microsoft mouse (made by mitsumi) and compared the resistance values for that one with yours and all resistance values are less than 1 ohm.

edit: try measuring the resistance while playing/bending the cable at those points mentioned.

Yep, that'll lead to frustrations.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 22 of 24, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

That much resistance on the ground wire means the ground the IC in the mouse sees is no longer 0V referenced. That will definitely mess up your day.

Reply 23 of 24, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

STRRRRRRIKE!
So you know where to cut and shorten the cable.

Reply 24 of 24, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To give a full feedback:

On my second mouse which worked better I actually have a similar cable problem, it's just less pronounced. So I was just "incredibly" (considering it's old second-hand hardware) unlucky to have 2 mice with the same issue.

So I bought the third 3€ mouse , also a Logitech. This one works like a charm on all 3 systems. I opened it, took the cable and connected it to the 2 other faulty mice and...they all work perfectly fine. So the 2 cables are the culprit (on the COM port end for one, on the mouse side for the other).

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.