VOGONS

First post, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i've been trying to revive some P3 era machines.

compaq presario 3555 (unknown mobo model)
luckystar k7vat+ rev 3
Tekram S381-M 2.x

all 3 motherboards absolutely refuse to save their BIOS settings. i suppose it's still technically possible to install an OS and use them but the inability to save settings is a problem. sure - hardware this old is a crapshoot but i find it hard to believe that they all have the same exact faulty chip and/or that ALL the spare batteries i have are dead. i've tried different power supplies, memory, CPUs, and video cards; i have to be missing something.

tl;dr are there any non-battery related issues that would cause all my machines to have faulty CMOS?

Reply 1 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you try to put an Amperemeter in the circuit between a battery, what does it show?
Some Microamperes are okay, but one of my motherboards has shown some Milliamperes and the battery was empty after one day...

Please give more details.

How fast are the BIOS settings lost? Are they lost even when you push the reset button?
Have you loaded the BIOS or setup defaults after first boot? (This step should at least assure to have a valid CMOS checksum - and should not be forgotten!)
Please try to check the battery circuit with the Amperemeter.

Reply 2 of 4, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i don't have access to any electrical testing equipment.

i can say that even a ctrl+alt+del will cause the error to pop up again. even going into the BIOS and selecting "load defaults and exit" will get the same result.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm testing these boards without any drives or noncritical cards plugged in... but I only first noticed the CMOS problems when I had one of the machines fully built.

Reply 3 of 4, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More unpredictable behavior from this project. In my attempts to swap hardware and isolate the issue, the K7VAT+ has gone no-POST on me. This in addition to a few other boards I was cannibalizing. It's also worth mentioning that almost none of my 3 1/2" drives will boot (even though they're perfectly functional in Windows). I've never had this much bad luck reviving PCs, even ones older than this.