VOGONS

First post, by mayera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently decided to build myself an old school 486-DX2 66 computer for some nostalgia fun. I got the board and an ATI Mach64 GT PCI video card along with some ram, put everything together and nothing. I found myself an old PC speaker and when I start it up I get a long beep followed by 2 short ones. I thought this was video card related, but I have no way of testing the PCI video card. I am hoping this is an easy solve and I am just missing something obvious. I would really like to not put a lot more money into this project, but I am also excited to relive my youthful days of Dos/Windows 3.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any dates on the ATI card? There might have been some remade ones from server graphics chips that don't work on a 5V PCI system. If it's an original one, it should be fine if functional. Quite often with old parts, everything needs the contacts cleaning with alcohol and maybe "exercised" in the slot a few times until it decides to make contact right.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 10, by mayera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the ideas. I tried pulling the RAM and the board just sounds a long beep continuously. I retried the graphics card again, multiple inserts just in case, still no luck. I have attached photos of the parts to provide more details. I had a couple of other thoughts. Could it be a BIOS issue where the configuration is set up use ISA graphics only? If so I expect the only solution would be to pull the CMOS battery and leave unplugged for 24-hours to check. I could try different RAM but I would need to order some since I do not have any spare 72-pin kicking around.

Attachments

• Vid Front.jpg
    Filename
    Vid Front.jpg
    File size
    477.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Vid Back.jpg
    Filename
    Vid Back.jpg
    File size
    409.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Motherboard.jpg
    Filename
    Motherboard.jpg
    File size
    492.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Memory.jpg
    Filename
    Memory.jpg
    File size
    401.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried one SIMM at a time, in case one of them is bad? Shouldn't actually need a pair on this board, pentium up does though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mayera wrote on 2024-02-09, 20:25:

Thanks for the ideas. I tried pulling the RAM and the board just sounds a long beep continuously. I retried the graphics card again, multiple inserts just in case, still no luck. I have attached photos of the parts to provide more details. I had a couple of other thoughts. Could it be a BIOS issue where the configuration is set up use ISA graphics only? If so I expect the only solution would be to pull the CMOS battery and leave unplugged for 24-hours to check. I could try different RAM but I would need to order some since I do not have any spare 72-pin kicking around.

Use FPM RAM instead of EDO. Only B5 chipset revision of SIS496 supports Edo.
Re: Asus PVI-486SP3 // PCB vs. Chipset Revisions

EDIT: And this table is also wrong: B5 starts with P, something with PR
😁

Reply 6 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

probably wrong ram, but
>board just sounds a long beep continuously
It shouldnt do that 😀 start from the bottom up, remove everything, leave just power and speaker connected to empty motherboard.

"Continuous beep Memory or graphics card not detected"
I stand corrected

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2024-02-10, 04:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 10, by MontyL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One long, two short is Graphics Card Error. Clean the card edge connector and socket, try it again. Continuous beep is memory or graphics card not detected.

You might find these handy:

RetroWeb entry for Zida 4DPS - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zida-4dps. The User Guide Rev 3.1 pdf under the Documentation tab even has Tomato on the cover!

Beep Codes - https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/kno … ios-beep-codes/ has a number of them for various BIOS.

Good luck!

Monty

Reply 8 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh I'm just thinking, if you haven't given the CMOS a proper clear, you're probably going to have to do that, this may be pre PnP PCI, which means it needs to assign resources on initial setup, it might have wrong IRQs etc assigned to the slot you have the graphics card in.

Reply 10 of 10, by mayera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I tried clearing the CMOS today. I also received an ISA VGA card that I had ordered 4 months ago this afternoon and tried with that. Same beep code (long, 2 short) which should be graphics card related, but now I have tried two. I have tried reseating all the chips on the board as well. I have FPM RAM coming in by then end of the month. One difference today was after the 1 long and 2 short beep code I started getting continuous beeping. I have removed both RAM sticks and tried each one individually, but since the chipset likely does not recognize the EDO RAM I did not expect that to change anything. I am still surprised that the beep error code is pointing at the graphics card considering I have now tried two different ones, using different busses, but listed as known good cards.