VOGONS

First post, by Sispik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ASUS CUBX-L (rev 1.01) / Pentium III-S SL5QL Tualatin 1.26GHz
Tried to pair the two, I see various posts with CUBX (non-L, one titled CUBX-E / L ) having success with Tualatin CPU's. But I get blank screen and no beep codes.
Same results with jumperless and jumper(ed) configuration (latter tried with 100MHz x8, multiplier is actually locked for this CPU, but jumpers top out at x8)

BIOS does allow manually going as low as 1.30V for CPU core, so voltage controller should support required 1.45V.

BIOS is latest ASUS 1008.004 , with DenizOezmen's Modified BIOSes for ASUS P3B-F, P3V4X, P3V133, CUBX, CUBX-E/L and P3C-E

Reply 3 of 5, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The easiest option, if they are still available, would be to buy a modded CPU from the Korean seller on eBay.

There are also some interstitial devices from Powerleap and Upgradeware that you might be able to find if you're willing to spend a LOT of money and be patient

Another great option would be to use a Coppermine CPU, which will probably does what you want.

Edit:
It looks like the modded CPUs are still sold on eBay. When I searched, the item description was "Intel Tualatin Pentium-IIIs 1.26GHz(512K) include On-chip Socket Adapter!!!"

I've never purchased one, so I can't vouch. Maybe someone on these forums has experience with these.

Reply 4 of 5, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought years ago, the P3S 1400 from that seller, it cost less than now, but still more than an unmodified CPU, it works, it works, but only on the motherboards in the list, in my case on an Acorp i815, it doesn't work, while on an ABIT SA6 and on ASUS CUSI-FX it works very well, indeed perhaps better than the 1400S I have on a TUSL2-C.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 5 of 5, by Sispik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The mod doesn't seem compatible with 440BX chipset, per seller, and I'm not adventurous enough to try it at the import price. Oh well, I was mostly aiming to stabilize enlarged CPU cooler on my Coppermine that doesn't have IHS. The small fans are whiny so I put a cooler on it that grows upward to fit 80mm Noctua. Silent but I'm not pleased with how wobbly it is. Maybe I'll use heat pads to make it more stable, similar to what AMD did. Or try to find Coppermine-T, Tualatin seemed like the better choice, IHS plate with bonus efficiency and performance

..aand Coppermine-T 1GHz comes with 133MHz FSB, so I'd get slower CPU at 100MHz compared to current. Or overclock AGP, 440BX can only divide by 2/3. Pick your poison 🤣

Thanks for the information!