VOGONS

First post, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I possess a Compaq Presario 2100 from the same joblot as the Toshiba while it has different issues I'm struggling to figure out how it's CPU socket works

If I use a screwdriver it will work just I'll end up gouging the socket and scoring the chip.

Was there a special tool that was for these specific Laptop style socket As?.

I'd like some assistance with figuring out what the best way of dealing with it would be.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ouch it already looks a bit damaged, be careful!

I've come across such sockets.

They have an open and a close position as marked by the padlock symbol. Use a flat screwdriver to slide it to the open position and then you should be able to remove the processor. If it doesn't come out easily I wouldn't force it.

Reply 2 of 8, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tauro wrote on 2024-02-10, 20:42:

Ouch it already looks a bit damaged, be careful!

I've come across such sockets.

They have an open and a close position as marked by the padlock symbol. Use a flat screwdriver to slide it to the open position and then you should be able to remove the processor. If it doesn't come out easily I wouldn't force it.

I've allready used a flathead (indicated by the damage) to remove it in the first place...it's a stupidly designed socket if you ask me.

Reply 3 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen 370s done this way too. Found out the hard way by killing a 1100MHz Coppermine.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 5 of 8, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wierd_w wrote on 2024-02-11, 08:34:

It's a 'LIF' instead of a ZIF.

In Ye Days of Yore, (386/486 era), these were common. There is indeed a special tool.

Would there be a place I can aqquire such a tool? Or make one perhaps?

I'd like to....not kill anything else trying to pry the socket open.

Reply 6 of 8, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The tool used on 386/486 systems is not good to use, as the spacing is wrong.

I'd be apt to instead, suggest 'carefully wiggling it out' using a plastic pry spudger, gently inserted under the edge of the chip.

One side, then the other, slowly working it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Spudger-Openin … k/dp/B07MDKK8WG

There should be a small gap under the cpu to get under with said tool.

If not, start one with the corner of a credit card, then when you can get the spudger under, wiggle it out.

LIF sockets suck.

Reply 7 of 8, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You aren't supposed to pry the CPU out, and you'll probably destroy that CPU if you tired (it isn't ceramic). It's meant to be a low-profile ZIF socket. You were supposed to use a screwdriver, but I always chewed up the edge of the CPU and socket like you did.

I remember seeing a video from AMD about them, but I don't know where to find it now (maybe Internet Archive due to its age). I did find this document that had instructions on page 31 (complete with pictures of a mangled socket):
https://web.archive.org/web/20050228161012/ht … _docs/24228.pdf

Reply 8 of 8, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperLuke2003 wrote on 2024-02-10, 20:19:
I possess a Compaq Presario 2100 from the same joblot as the Toshiba while it has different issues I'm struggling to figure out […]
Show full quote

I possess a Compaq Presario 2100 from the same joblot as the Toshiba while it has different issues I'm struggling to figure out how it's CPU socket works

If I use a screwdriver it will work just I'll end up gouging the socket and scoring the chip.

Was there a special tool that was for these specific Laptop style socket As?.

I'd like some assistance with figuring out what the best way of dealing with it would be.

Tech tangent has a fight with a similar socket.
If you know exactly how the socket is supposed to move it helps:

https://youtu.be/8D0k8zXNv28?t=562

Takes a lot of force, tho i reckon some electronics cleaner like deoxit would lube it slightly to help some.