VOGONS

Windows 98 Install: CD Drive failing, but only during install

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by RintaDev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just gotten a new old windows 98 desktop (the last one, the gateway e4400, sadly shipped broken and had to be returned 😒 ).
It came with windows me, which I dislike, and I want to purge it from my computer. It also doesn't work with usb keyboards+mice outside of safe mode so is pretty much unusable.
I am trying to install windows 98 se from a cd (from REMOVED), and the cd drive works fine, but whenever I get into the install (after booting from the cd and everything works fine) it says:
CDR101: Not ready reading drive D
which is weird because if I restart and do f3 to exit install, the disc works as normal. If I try to run setup.exe however, it gives me the same error.
Dir works, and so does cd and everything else, the drive is even fast I'd say.
What's the issue?

Edit: It might be worth noting that while booting up, the CD drive was referred to as CDR001 not 101 so maybe it's looking in the wrong place?
Edit 2: You can probably tell, but I really don't know what I'm talking about, this is my first computer before windows 7

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-05-03, 15:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RintaDev wrote on 2024-02-14, 02:46:

Edit 2: You can probably tell, but I really don't know what I'm talking about, this is my first computer before windows 7

Nothing wrong with that, we all have to start sometime.
Your much better off copying the CD to the hard drive and installing off that.
to do this at the command prompt type

md c:\win98 (md stands for Make Directory, directory been what folders are in dos speak)
d: (or whatever letter your cd drive is)
cd win98
copy *.* c:\win98

You only need the contents of the Win98 folder and technically not all the files but this is the easy way, benefit is faster install, windows won't ask for the CD when installing drivers, etc. and if the CD or drive is on the way out its nicer to know when your copying files then mid install