VOGONS

First post, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I obtained this chinon FR-506 1.2 mb drive mainly to use for a portable greaseweazel imaging.

I did some basic cleaning and was testing for the first time and finally noticed disk wasnt spinning. Put some pressure on the top disk part and it spins and read the disk.
At some point around this i was looking it over and piece of plastic fell out and it part of the plastic holding the lever rod. Must be the weak point after all this years. Ironic thing i saw another one on ebay that already had the failure.
My initial search doesnt show any 3d print replacements. It appears the rod has a small disc i think that is in it own slot that keeps the rod from moving front to back. Not sure how a 3d print could deal with that.
So im not sure the best option is to glue the piece back on.

IMG_0443.JPG
Filename
IMG_0443.JPG
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There should be a black plastic arch over the far side of the rod, you can see the small disc to prevent sliding.

The issue is even getting this part out if i need to. The larger ribbon cable really keep it in place. Im guessing the cable releases here but it was tight. Other option is desolder the cable from the pcb end.

IMG_0445.JPG
Filename
IMG_0445.JPG
File size
1016.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Im really looking for suggestions on this one cause I think once i try something it might not be easy coming back from.

Reply 1 of 7, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think i have 2 options. I cant get the rod out, the plastic wedge on the end will not budge. The other end of the rod is held in place by the the other plastic hole which isnt broken.
1. glue the piece back on. It doesnt really fit back on very nicely and i think its missing chucks. I also worry about glue on the rod.

2. This is best idea i have at the moment. I can 3d design a piece that will sit over the plastic part with the screws (i will need longer screws). Attached to it will be an arm that extends over the top of the rod with a half tube to keep the rod down. I think this will work as i just need pressure on the rod to keep it down and the bottom of the existing plastic will still hold the rod in place.
This method also doesnt break or change the drive permanently either.

Reply 2 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cable is in a socket but you are right, it's very difficult to remove. The contacts are spring blades that bite into the wires as you pull it, it's easy to bend the blades or rip off the wire. A tiny, thin blade inserted between the spring and each wire might help release it but it's hard to find something suitable and work it in. All in all, poor design (well, easy and cheap for assembly) and it might be easier to desolder the small PCB instead.

As for the shaft, it should come out if you remove the locking rings seen in the photo. Forgot the name for those. Somewhat annoying to remove without proper tools but two small flat-head screwdrivers will do the job, just make sure it doesn't fly off somewhere. That plastic piece is another poor design choice, for example TEAC uses metal parts with holes but to prevent metal on metal rubbing there is a nylon sleeve in the hole. That sleeve can break eventually but can be replaced.

Reply 3 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

deunan, e-clip

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sticking a tiny screwdriver or knife tip under it and levering it should get it off. Just make sure, like deunan already said, that it doesn't fly off ! 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 7, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to design the bracket holder in tinkercad. Took a couple rounds to get the size right. There’s a plastic tab under the rod to hold the flat cable but it’s very close to the metal rod.
I’m publishing it to thingie verse and will put the link soon.

IMG_0447.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0447.jpeg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0448.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0448.jpeg
File size