VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking to build a fast Pentium 3 machine with at least one ISA slot (for the Orpheus 2).

From what I've researched, the 440BX is a good (one of the only?) choices available. However, I can't find any 440BX + Socket 370 motherboards for any reasonable prices.

However, the Gigabyte GA-6BXC seems reasonable (and it supports Coppermine as of R2.0 or with a VRM chip swap) but it's only slot 1.

Is this a good motherboard for a fast pentium 3 machine?

There are various slotket (?) adapters to convert from slot 1 to socket 370 but I don't too much about that rabbit hole...

Reply 1 of 2, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slotkets can definitely be a rabbit hole. The main thing to consider is that the cheaper ones tend to only really support pre-coppermine celerons. If you want to get one that supports coppermine you might end up spending 30-50% the cost of the motherboard to get one. So you might want to think of a slot 1 motherboard as being that much more expensive if you're plan is to put a socket 370 coppermine in it.

As for the board, I don't have any personal experience, but I think I've heard good things. 440BX boards are certainly some of the most compatible and stable. But there are other socket 370 boards out there with ISA slots. I've got an Asus CUV4X which has a VIA chipset. I personally have had only good experiences with it.

Reply 2 of 2, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my ga-6bxc running P-3S 1.4Ghz via modded slotket adapter just fine
but have to switch clockgen to another model, 9248db or similar, almost any apollo pro 133 have this clockgen. it's up to 150mhz and pin compatible.
default clock gen is unstable on 133mhz