VOGONS

First post, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I recently got an working MSI MS-7366 V3 . Yesterday it was beeping that it didn't detect any gpu. Today its not even posting, no post codes on my pc analyzer card and no beeps. I've tried different gpu's, cpu's, ram and psu's but its still not working. Whats weird is that yesterday, at first boot after cmos reset it complained about gpu error, then continued posting, but when i powered it back on again it hung up on C2 with gpu error. Any ideas form anyone?

Socket 478 totally sucks.

Reply 1 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nforce, I heard nightmares about those chipsets just dying randomly
you can try keeping pressure on chipset radiator and then turning on

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 11, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nforce, I heard nightmares about those chipsets just dying randomly
you can try keeping pressure on chipset radiator and then turning on

Tried that, but no success.

you might get it to work again by reflowing the chip.

Thanks. I will try that.

Reply 4 of 11, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All nforce chipset with embedded graphics potentially faulty. It's just a matter of time. Though nvidia nforce chipsets (not others!) can be revived temporarily. Hot air (200-300 degree of Celsius for 20-30sec) applied to a die crystal makes magic. It's better to warm up slightly an area around the die first

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 5 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wait, so its NVidia bumpgate
"Chips affected are mostly from 2006-2008.
MCP and GPUs are affected, both in laptops and desktops.
Some articles list G86, G86A2, G84, C51, G72, G72M, G73, G72A3, MCP67 and NV42. But these aren't the only ones, some G9x and other MCPs were affected too.
That's some later GeForce 6000, almost all GeForce 7000, almost all GeForce 8000, some early GeForce 9000. Affected MCPs are MCP5x (northbridge only, not southbridge), MCP6x and early MCP7x."

reballing wont help, heating will fix it temporarily, basically recycle and buy something intel based

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd add nForce 4 in there as well. I've seen enough dead nF4 boards to be certain of that, both AMD and Intel.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 7 of 11, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i tried to reflow the chip and it worked, sort of. At first it hunged up on D4, which means:

Returning to real mode. Executing any OEM patches and setting the stack next.

Then, while pressing on the chip it went to 31 and it displayed an black screen. Now it went back to D4.
I also now noticed CPU sag, so that might also be the issue. Any ideas what to try next? I don't wanna throw it away yet.

Reply 10 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nForce 4 was the desktop chipset where it started going downhill. It didn't help the hellspawns that were dubbed 6100 and 6150 - they already had the bump issues inherited from nForce 4 and adding a iGP was a perfect recipe for disaster.

I've seen and had more dead nForce 4 boards (both the AMD variants and the Intel SLi version) than I can even count. nForce 3 seems to have been far less failure-prone in that regard.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 11 of 11, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after heating up the chip once again its only hanging up on D4. Before it was posting without problems on cold boots, but was hanging up after a couple of seconds. I decided to give up for now and move to a different mobo. Thanks for help everyone.