VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am trying to repair a Matrox G200 AGP that is displaying garbled and purple image on screen. I think I know what is causing the purple, and I'm hoping it may have to do with why the image is garbled - but if it's not, I can always try a BIOS reflash and some RAM reflow/replacement. Regardless, first order of business is getting the capacitors replaced, and I have no idea what values they should be. In the close up you will see two capacitors near the VGA port are knocked off. Can anyone guesstimate good values for these?

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 2, by Karbist

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The purple image is duo to missing ferrite bead on one of the rgb output signals. you can salvage one from a dead card or put a 0 ohm resistor in there.
the missing c19 cap has the same value as c9 and c20, if your multimeter can measure caps just desolder one of them and measure it. they are usually under 50nf.

Reply 2 of 2, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Karbist wrote on 2024-02-20, 18:09:

The purple image is duo to missing ferrite bead on one of the rgb output signals. you can salvage one from a dead card or put a 0 ohm resistor in there.
the missing c19 cap has the same value as c9 and c20, if your multimeter can measure caps just desolder one of them and measure it. they are usually under 50nf.

Thank you, so the larger SMD component that's missing is not a capacitor but a ferrite bead! I may have some of those, but I definitely ahve 0R SMD resistors so I can do that.

I'll try a 22nF capacitor at C19 and see how that goes.

Be reporting back tonight!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.