VOGONS

First post, by anton23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I found an old Compaq Armada 7710MT that does not work properly, so I'm looking for troubleshooting or other tips to restore it.

When powered on, all three lights on the keyboard light up and sits there. Nothing on display. No beep either. Like in this video from somebody else: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ITOyMeYMdXU

So, there's power and something is happening.

I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rDFG2IHBlM to check the hibernation/CMOS battery

It does not look like there's damage, boards seem clean and the hibernation/CMOS battery does not shows sign of having leaked. Actually there is some damage, see here: Re: Help / Advice repairing or diagnosing Compaq Armada 7710MT
The display ribbon cable seems fine too.
There's a bit of fungus here and there, but I've seen much worse on fully working computers.

Would anybody have experience to share on diagnosing or repairing it ? Something I could quickly try ?

Edit: update because there's some battery leak damage

Attachments

• display_ribbon_cable.jpg
    Filename
    display_ribbon_cable.jpg
    File size
    458.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • fungus.jpg
    Filename
    fungus.jpg
    File size
    704.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by anton23 on 2024-03-07, 20:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by anton23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, it turns out there was some leak damage, around the battery connector.

I tried cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, but it still shows the problem.

I tried checking the traces and many are good, I couldn't check them all because I'm not sure the isopropyl is cleaning all the rust and some pads seem covered with it.

I'm also concerned about some white stuff around the pinss of one big chip on the bottom. Cleaning removed some of the white stuff, but not all, some seem under the chip.

I was wondering if there are more in depth cleaning methods to remove the leak residues, maybe some vinegar ?

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ouch, that’s rough. That sort of damage is really hard to repair if it gets into the vias. I don’t have advice to offer, just wishing you luck.

I probably have too many old laptops.