VOGONS

First post, by pengan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before Book 8088 was sold on AliExpress, Shan Zhongyu had already spent at least 7 years exploring the creation of enthusiast computers based on the 8088. However, due to the retro computing community in China being more fragmented, even myself knew very little about the story behind Book 8088.

I collected Shan Zhongyu's posts from www.mydigit.cn, where you can see some of the early prototypes of Book 8088 and Hand386, as well as some significant developments that shaped the functionality of Book 8088. For example, the CGA graphics card completed in 2018 and the early prototype of Book 8088 finished in 2020.

In 2019, Mydigit.cn replaced its forum system and set the old forum to be an archive only accessible to invited registered users, turning it into a "deep web" that is difficult for the outside world to access. This is somewhat typical in China, aimed at against unrestricted scraping of its content by content farms. However, this also makes it extremely difficult for external observers to access information within the Chinese community.

I have reformatted Shan Zhongyu's posts into Gitbook. In these posts he included a considerable amount of design material in these posts. Since I am not a hardware expert, I couldn't fully understand the content, but I believe it can help others grasp the design philosophy behind Book 8088.

https://compumuseum.gitbook.io/stories-behind-book8088/

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pengan wrote on 2024-02-21, 05:05:
Before Book 8088 was sold on AliExpress, Shan Zhongyu had already spent at least 7 years exploring the creation of enthusiast co […]
Show full quote

Before Book 8088 was sold on AliExpress, Shan Zhongyu had already spent at least 7 years exploring the creation of enthusiast computers based on the 8088. However, due to the retro computing community in China being more fragmented, even myself knew very little about the story behind Book 8088.

I collected Shan Zhongyu's posts from www.mydigit.cn, where you can see some of the early prototypes of Book 8088 and Hand386, as well as some significant developments that shaped the functionality of Book 8088. For example, the CGA graphics card completed in 2018 and the early prototype of Book 8088 finished in 2020.

In 2019, Mydigit.cn replaced its forum system and set the old forum to be an archive only accessible to invited registered users, turning it into a "deep web" that is difficult for the outside world to access. This is somewhat typical in China, aimed at against unrestricted scraping of its content by content farms. However, this also makes it extremely difficult for external observers to access information within the Chinese community.

I have reformatted Shan Zhongyu's posts into Gitbook. In these posts he included a considerable amount of design material in these posts. Since I am not a hardware expert, I couldn't fully understand the content, but I believe it can help others grasp the design philosophy behind Book 8088.

Thank you for this.

Our shared interest in old tech brings us together. It transcends borders and cultural boundaries.

Admiration and respect to Shan Zhongyu, you and everyone else sharing the dream.

Reply 2 of 2, by n0p

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pengan wrote on 2024-02-21, 05:05:
Before Book 8088 was sold on AliExpress, Shan Zhongyu had already spent at least 7 years exploring the creation of enthusiast co […]
Show full quote

Thank you! It looks like there's still new design changes in Book8088.
It there any information if the project will evolve?