VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Power line communications aka PLC is the natural enemy of every shortwave listener..

https://radiofidelity.com/the-benefits-of-sho … PLC_Frequencies

Just saying. 😟

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can get 10mbit working over internal phone wiring provided it's reasonably modern, say less than 30 years old... well and you are not relying on it for phones any more. Though you only need one pair for the phone and one pair for 10Mbit TP, so if all 6 are punched down you've got 3 pairs to play with.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 32, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-23, 20:06:
OpenRift wrote on 2024-02-23, 18:55:
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-23, 18:41:

You are using a crossover cable right?

I'm just using a regular ethernet cable. Do I specifically need a crossover cable?

To direct wire two PCs, network card to network card, you need a crossover cable. If you go PC to switch/hub to PC you just need regular cables and a switch or hub (or old router just using the ethernet side as switch.)

Some equipment has autosense on the port, to tell which kind of cable is in use and do the cross automatically if required, however, I'd only trust that when all equipment is from same maker. Most routers made in the last decade seem to have it for daisychaining routers though. Otherwise WAN to WAN you need a crossover.

Question, would you need like a specific cable version (CAT5e, CAT6, etc.) for it to work between the two PCs?

Reply 23 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you need it as good as the speed you're trying to use, but distances shorter than a dozen feet probably doesn't matter much. 5e for up to 100Mbit CAT6 for gigabit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24 of 32, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You dont want nor need ICS to be set up on the Win98 PC as this will share the connection of the PC to another PC. All you need to do is bridge the connections in the Windows 11 PC and then set the IP of the Win98 PC and it will get a direct connection to your router.
All you will need is a cross over ethernet cable because you intend on connecting two hosts but apart from that it is plain sailing from there on.

Google Windows 11 bridge network connections will give you all the info you need.

Reply 25 of 32, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-24, 16:33:

You dont want nor need ICS to be set up on the Win98 PC as this will share the connection of the PC to another PC. All you need to do is bridge the connections in the Windows 11 PC and then set the IP of the Win98 PC and it will get a direct connection to your router.
All you will need is a cross over ethernet cable because you intend on connecting two hosts but apart from that it is plain sailing from there on.

Google Windows 11 bridge network connections will give you all the info you need.

Yeah, I just ordered a crossover cable, hopefully this should do the trick.

Reply 26 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW anyone in Ontario or other parts of Canada, might be able to pick one up in some of the older small chain dollar stores like 99c depot, looney tooney plus, or the one with the purple sign I can't remember the name of, those all seem to keep a good array of older cords, maybe find PS2 splitters etc there too.

Reply 28 of 32, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, so I got the crossover cable in the mail and after configuring bridging on Windows 11 and setting the gateway on Win98, it works! I'm glad I didn't need to actually use ICS for anything, because it just seemed like such a pain. Thanks Bitwrangler for the helpful information!

Reply 29 of 32, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😀

May I ask what you intend on using it for now its on the internet?

I only ask as outside of a couple of spercific use cases I cant really think why anybody would want Win98 on the internet these days.

Reply 30 of 32, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-26, 17:06:

😀

I only ask as outside of a couple of spercific use cases I cant really think why anybody would want Win98 on the internet these days.

Mostly multiplayer gaming (played QuakeWorld with some friends last night and it went perfectly), downloading some era-appropriate programs and game patches, and just general old-internet stuff. I'm not using it for banking or anything stupid like that.

Reply 31 of 32, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OpenRift wrote on 2024-02-26, 18:45:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-26, 17:06:

😀

Mostly multiplayer gaming (played QuakeWorld with some friends last night and it went perfectly), downloading some era-appropriate programs and game patches, and just general old-internet stuff. I'm not using it for banking or anything stupid like that.

No I didnt think it would be anything important. I was just wondering because I dont know of many sites that the browsers in 98 can display now.