VOGONS

First post, by mita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I try to bring life to the following motherboard: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/ford-lian-agp-ali

Visually the board is pristine state, none of the caps are bulged none of them shorted. There is no short on the power rail. With no CPU the core and the I/O voltage is OK.
Starting with an AT PSU the post card shows no CPU activity, reset line is active, PW rail is OK. Both oscillators provide the right frequencies. The board stucked into active reset. If I short the reset pin than the reset led turned off on the post card but no other changes, the MB halted.
Switched off the PSU, waited for a minute and switched on the situation is the same. BUT! Switched off-on the PSU within 2-3 seconds the MB starts to post and everything is working. 10 out of 10 times.

Do you have any experience like this? I used this PSU with two other s7 MBs and it was OK, therefore I would close the PSU out as a culprit.

What would you recommend to check? I will replace the six caps next to the CPU and the caps close to the PW rail circuit after I sourced them. But meantime maybe someone had a similiar experience and solution for this kind of problem.

Reply 2 of 3, by mita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2024-02-22, 23:03:

Did you put CR2032 battery into place? Some motherboards don't post when it is missing.

My bad I missed it. Placing the battery resulted the reset state went away after switching on. Unfortunately the situation is the same, but one small step forward clearing the reset signal with the battery present.
Does anybody know the power up sequence of these MBs?

Ali M1543 controller handles the power management but unfortunately it is a BGA IC, no way to probe the pins.

Let see the result of the recap.

Reply 3 of 3, by mita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recap did not changed the situation. Tricking the startup with the double switch described above the system is able to boot from floppy. Interestingly it can not boot from a tested ide disk, froze in the disk controller initialization phase. Next I will try to measure the IDE cable pins for stucked or floated status.