VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is an early pci-e chipset on a biostar p4m900-m4. the board specs list:
1 x PCI-E x1 Slots
1 x PCI-E x16 Slots
my purpose is to get hdmi out instead of using the onboard Chrome9 HC IGP, but all i get with the gt 710 is a black screen with no bios beep codes. i'm not really knowledgeable about pci-e. is this card perhaps too new a pci-e revision for the p4m900 chipset? i can't think of any bios settings, other than the obvious, to try since the system refuses to even post. the gt 710 has no trouble at all in an intel 945g express board which is also a fairly early pci-e chipset.

is there anything else i can try? i searched for a solution, but the p4m900-m4 is a pretty niche pci-e ddr2 board with a 478 socket. can the bios be modded or is this simply a hardware incompatibility?

Reply 1 of 1, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the CMOS battery connector wasn't in the way behind the PCI-E 1x slot, one *possible* solution could be to fit a 16x card in that slot by cutting out the back of the 1x slot. I suppose an alternative to that would be to get one of those mining expansion cables that plugs into a 1x slot and then provides a physical 16x slot with 1x connectivity. The caveat of this, *if* it works is that you won't get a post screen through the PCI-E card. Instead, you would have to post through the regular onboard VGA and then have the onboard GPU disabled and the GPU in the 1x slot used as the primary display. Once that is done, the computer won't show anything on the screen until the OS boots up. But it can work - I've done it on an ASUS A8V-MX that has an AGP slot only (and I wanted to use a PCI-E GPU in the 1x slot.)