VOGONS

First post, by zzgus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi community !

Recently I'm into retrohardware another time now that I have some free time.

With all my enthusiasm this week I bought a near mint Tulip 386 computer, but at the first boot I could hear a kind of buzz and some smoke smell.

After opening the case I could see a squeezed cable from the power supply. (see pictures attached)
After further investigation I see a "component" of the riser card burnt. (see pictures attached)

What will you guys do next?

- Test power supply values?
- Change burnt component ?

Thankyou
Gus

Attachments

• RISER3.jpg
    Filename
    RISER3.jpg
    File size
    233.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • RISER2.jpg
    Filename
    RISER2.jpg
    File size
    284.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • RISER1.jpg
    Filename
    RISER1.jpg
    File size
    296.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • FA2.jpg
    Filename
    FA2.jpg
    File size
    99.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • FA1.jpg
    Filename
    FA1.jpg
    File size
    108.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by zzgus on 2024-02-23, 10:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look up 'tantrum capacitors' or correct name 'tantalum capacitors' and their propensity to blow up.

then just cut the offending part off, because it is likely to be causing a short on a power line, stopping the power supply from working properly, and test the mainboard again, and expect some other tantrum capacitor to blow.

and don't worry too much about it.
edit: that squeezed wire, is that white or yellow? either way it shouldn't matter for an old 386.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 18, by zzgus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-23, 10:29:

then just cut the offending part off, because it is likely to be causing a short on a power line, stopping the power supply from working properly,

I don't really know what do you mean sorry... Cut the burnt yellow "component" and test motherboard again?
The component burnt is on the riser card, I have took apart the riser card and also no luck booting up.

edit: that squeezed wire, is that white or yellow? either way it shouldn't matter for an old 386.

The wire is yellow.

Thankyou
Gus

Reply 3 of 18, by BitFlip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zzgus wrote on 2024-02-23, 10:40:
I don't really know what do you mean sorry... Cut the burnt yellow "component" and test motherboard again? The component burnt […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-23, 10:29:

then just cut the offending part off, because it is likely to be causing a short on a power line, stopping the power supply from working properly,

I don't really know what do you mean sorry... Cut the burnt yellow "component" and test motherboard again?
The component burnt is on the riser card, I have took apart the riser card and also no luck booting up.

The wire is yellow.

Thankyou
Gus

You can just cut the burned capacitor off from the board or de-solder it then boot the system to check its working, I believe the tantalum its only there for filtering and as you can see there's 2 other in parallel with the blown one.

Reply 4 of 18, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cut the burnt component off of the riser board. The one you pointed an arrow to on the photos you posted.

You say the mainboard without the riser is still not giving you anything.
Does the power supply come on and can you measure the voltages? you should find +12v, +5v, -5v & -12v on the power supply mainboard connector.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 5 of 18, by zzgus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-23, 10:53:

Does the power supply come on and can you measure the voltages? you should find +12v, +5v, -5v & -12v on the power supply mainboard connector.

Yes I can see the fan spin... I'll measure the voltages.

Thankyou
Gus

Reply 8 of 18, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You dont even have to replace it, in the eighties there was no power analysis software used when designing motherboards, engineers just sprinkled capacitors on the whim/hunch.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 18, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zzgus wrote on 2024-02-23, 17:11:

BTW what's this ?

It's a 'tantrum' capacitor (tantalum) and as rasz_pl said, you don't have to replace it.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 18, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zzgus wrote on 2024-02-23, 17:11:

BTW what's this ?

It appears to be a 4.7uF 16v tantalum capacitor. Readily available:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/passive-components … g%20dc=16%20VDC

But, as said, they are not always essential components and were often fitted to "cross the t's and dot the i's" - i.e. belts and braces approach. They are often doubled up and scattered around the board seemingly at random.

As you've found out, unlike normal electrolytic capacitors which usually don't go bang (but instead leak, and puke their conductive/corrosive guts up), tantalums tend to go BANG, and sometimes fail in a shorted state.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 12 of 18, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-02-23, 17:26:

unlike normal electrolytic capacitors which usually don't go bang

You haven't tried hard enough 😀 They do go bang too, and tend to leave quite a mess when they do. Though it is very rare for low voltage electrolytics to go bang with nominal voltage applied.

Reply 13 of 18, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like that yellow wire was pinched.
Is the wire exposed? if not, don't worry about it.

I serviced a few TCX17 power supplies, can you measure the 5 and 12 V rails during a cold boot? Sometimes they are far too low. When warmed up, they become within tolerance range.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 14 of 18, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote on 2024-02-23, 17:49:

You haven't tried hard enough 😀 They do go bang too, and tend to leave quite a mess when they do. Though it is very rare for low voltage electrolytics to go bang with nominal voltage applied.

Tell me about it. A wrongly wired PSU on a freshly recapped Sharp X68000 (courtesy of a mistranslated wiring diagram and swapped +12v / -12v colours on the schematic) and I had 3 or 4 cans blow up and launch their innards across the office.

Motherboard ended up toast. That was an expensive failure.

Smelled great, as well!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 15 of 18, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is a Tantalum capacitor (value = 4.7uF/16V). It is common for these to go bang with time. Nothing to worry, most of the time they just fail this way but don't take anything with them. So just replace the capacitor (or just remove it completely) and the board should start right up. Also it would be best to replace them all with electrolytic ones. Cheers!

Reply 16 of 18, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-23, 17:18:

You dont even have to replace it, in the eighties there was no power analysis software used when designing motherboards, engineers just sprinkled capacitors on the whim/hunch.

but there already was a thing called oscilloscope... and this thing had the ability to show noise on power rail, you know 😀
so it's still a good idea to replace it. but i admit it could probably live without it with no big issues.

Reply 18 of 18, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deunan wrote on 2024-02-23, 17:49:

A capacitor burst on one of my Acer USB cards, spraying molten gunk over the neighboring card, a Highpoint RAID card, also killing it.

Is this too much voodoo?