VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just setup a new Pentium 4 system (Dell Dimension 4600) running Windows 98 SE and a GeForce4 Ti 4200 (AGP) and a Diamond Multimedia MX300 Vortex 2.

However, when I play a game (ie. Half-Life) and there is any action (ie. GPU activity?) I hear terrible coil whine through the sound card.

Here is what I've tried:

1) Remove all PCI cards except for video card and sound card.
2) Move sound card to different PCI slots (I've tried them all)
3) Try Vortex drivers 2041 and 2048
4) Use the PCI Latency Tool to change the AGP card latency from 248 to 64. (I've also tried setting it to 0 and it worked but didn't crash so I wonder if the tool even works on this machine)
5) Made sure everything except Wave is muted in the Win98 Volume Control.

Unfortunately the BIOS is basically empty (it's a Dell) and has no settings at all regarding PCI latency or anything else.

Is there anything else I can try? 🙁

Reply 2 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you say "through" the sound card, are you talking about sound coming through the speakers / headphones? Or coming from physical components on the card itself?

Assuming it's the former, this sounds like ground loop interference. Basically noise gets transmitted through the ground connections and translated into audible interference.

I've noticed my own Vortex2 cards (pair of Diamond M300's) also have this issue. It's super noticeable under Windows, but they do pick up some system noise.

Unfortunately this sort of problem can be very difficult to deal with. There are ground loop isolators available for audio connections, but my own experience using them hasn't been great.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 8, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Here is a recording of the sound:

Filename
audio.mp3
File size
103.06 KiB
Downloads
5 downloads
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

It seems to be coming 90% out of the right side of the headphones. I've also tried both 'Output 2' (headphone output) and 'Output 1' but it's the same result.

I'm also using 250 Ohm headphones which are a bit difficult to drive I think but the volume is more than enough (too loud) so I don't think that's a problem?

EDIT: I just tried a ground loop isolator and also a headphone amplifier but it didn't help at all.

Reply 4 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This may not be the video card's fault. If the noise only or mainly happens when the PC is driven hard, there may be a link with power delivery (maybe even the PSU itself), for example. You could test that with something that loads only the CPU, like Prime95, while listening to an audio player application.

Are using an audio jack directly on the back of the card or something driven by the front panel header on the card ? If it is the latter, maybe the noise is being picked up by the wiring to the front panel connectors ?

You could try digital ( S/PDIF ) output into an external DAC as a last resort.
Info on the Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 5 of 8, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks again for the reply. I’ll check out the information in the thread you linked but I also tried my Audigy 2 ZS and it had no problems at all.

I’m not sure if the Vortex is defective (probably not?) or just a lot more sensitive maybe.

I’ll also check the situation while running Prime95, etc.

Oh, I’m also using the connections on the card itself and not the front panel

Reply 6 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sofakng wrote on 2024-02-24, 19:50:

I’m not sure if the Vortex is defective (probably not?) or just a lot more sensitive maybe.

My experience is they are just more sensitive.

This is true of sound cards in general. Some are virtually silent when it comes to unwanted noise/ground loops. Other cards are more prone to it.

One way to confirm the issue is to run the system off a battery bank (e.g. not plugged in to the wall). If the noise disappears it is a grounding issue. In my experience there aren't great solutions for that.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 8, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I don’t have a UPS battery or anything readily available.

I was mostly hoping to check out A3D 2.0 which is why I picked up the Vortex. Most of my equipment is in storage (including UPS batteries) so for now I’ll just have to use the Audigy (w/EAX) it seems.

Thanks for the help though and if anybody has any other ideas please let me know.

Reply 8 of 8, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just another quick update from further testing...

The A3D demos at first sounded fine, but I noticed that when it had more than one object in the scene it started to introduce the problem (only in the right channel).

For example, the 'A3D 2.0 Player' lets you select a 'Blue Source' and a 'Red Source' so I selected [Bee.wav]. When I click [Play] on the Blue Source it sounds perfect and I can move it around the scene, etc. However, when I click [Play] on the Red Source it starts to introduce the noise problem.

I also tried playing Half-Life and disabled [A3D hardware support] and the audio sounds perfect. However, once it's enabled it introduces the problem.

I wish I had another machine to test the card but I'm now wondering if perhaps the card is in fact defective?