VOGONS

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So here's the situation: I currently have a 450Mhz Pentium III in my Windows 98 rig. It can handle DOS/software-rendered games and most 3D-accelerated stuff (97-99) pretty decent paired with my registry-unlocked 3dfx Velocity 100, however, there are some games where things start to chug. The first game I noticed the slowdown was Quake III (v1.32), where the "four" demo gives me about 35 or so FPS. It's fine for a good chunk of the game, but once you go onto some of the bigger maps (i.e. Q3DM12), FPS can dip somewhere in the teens. Trying to push it further, I started trying some games from 2000/2001, just to see how those handled. No One Lives Forever (GOTY Edition) was chugging HARD, getting what felt like 5-20ish FPS in a mostly static scene. Rune Gold handled a bit better, but once you got a look at any relatively open spaces, it went back to sub-20FPS (and some weird graphical issues after the initial underwater cutscene, but I digress). Half-Life (v1.0.1.6) was also performing rather disappointingly as well, for some reason. These were all played at 640x480, by the way.

My PC is a Dell Dimension XPS T450. Based on the research I've done, the motherboard should be able to handle up to a 1Ghz PIII, as long as it's using a 100Mhz bus (which is a bit uncommon for 1Ghz). Of course, prices on ebay aren't that great for 1Ghz, same going for some 800 or 850Mhz listings.

With all that being said, what would be a good clock speed that can get these turn-of-the-millennium games in a more consistently playable place (30-40fps average) at 640x480? Is the 8MB VRAM of my Velocity 100 going to be too much of a bottleneck for these games?

To reiterate, these are the kind of games I'm hoping to get running at 640x480, targeting 30-40fps average:
- Quake III
- No One Lives Forever
- Rune
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Red Faction 1
- Deus Ex

Reply 1 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Celeron 800-1000MHz are cheap alternative, $5-10 in Poland. Celeron 566-733 usually runs at 100MHz fsb with minimal fuss.
Coppermine Celerons are ~10% slower than full P3, so 1GHz Celeron = 900MHz p3.
Then again ordinary PENTIUM III 850 MHz SOCKET 370 FSB 100 MHz is $20
Of course you will need fcpga slotket, preferably with Voltage jumpers.
As for the games. Nowadays I would just play them on my win10 computer 😀, and they wont scoff at 2GHz K7/3GHz P4, but 2x faster P3 CPU will definitely help.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 16, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to get a Pentium III 800 (or faster), but as you already mentioned, 100MHz FSB models are pricy and a bit rare.

It also depends on your budget and where you look for them (the bay = $$$), where you live, et cetera.

What about a high clocked Celeron in combination with a slotket?

Edit: great to see rasz_pl has the same look at it. 😁

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 3 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Clockspeed ain't going to help Quake3's texture thrashing (which is especially bad on 3dfx cards with less than 16MB - such as the Velocity 100). Your video card is the bottleneck, and this must change if you expect to hit 40fps with the presented gamut of 1999-2001 games. Perhaps a Geforce2MX is more ideal when the CPU's upped a bit to 800ish...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 16, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2024-02-25, 06:45:

Clockspeed ain't going to help Quake3's texture thrashing (which is especially bad on 3dfx cards with less than 16MB - such as the Velocity 100). Your video card is the bottleneck, and this must change if you expect to hit 40fps with the presented gamut of 1999-2001 games. Perhaps a Geforce2MX is more ideal when the CPU's upped a bit to 800ish...

This seems reasonable.

Also asking about what price-performance ratio to go for... I would say go for a dual core. P2 market is dry and now you are competing with collectors with deep pockets.

Maybe instead look at local listings and set up some searches on facebook market and practice you social skills as you drink tea with the elderly and buy their old computers gathering dust.

Reply 5 of 16, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is "texture thrashing", exactly? I think I've seen you mention this on other threads before, but I might be misremembering...

As much as I'd like to upgrade to say a Voodoo 3 2000 or 3000, the prices are absolutely disgusting on ebay. I do have a TNT2 M64, which was in the rig previously. While it has a full 32MB of RAM, the problem with that card was that the VGA signal was pretty bad (horizontal ghosting), which seems to be a recurring problem for a lot of Nvidia cards from that time (not to mention drivers are a complete toss-up per-game). I don't know if there's a way to be able to use both cards just through the Velocity 100's VGA port (highly unlikely I imagine), but if there's somehow a feasible way to do something like that, then I'm open to suggestions, I suppose.

Reply 6 of 16, by Hoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OpenRift wrote on 2024-02-25, 20:48:

What is "texture thrashing", exactly? I think I've seen you mention this on other threads before, but I might be misremembering...

Texture thrashing is when a given scene in a game requires more memory for its textures than is available on the graphics card. When this happens, some of the textures have to be located in main memory and the GPU accessing them via the bus. Or worse, the driver will evict one texture and upload the other one as needed resulting in massive transfers on the bus (and the gpu waiting a lot).

Neither scenario is good for fps 😉

Things that consume gpu memory:
- Frame buffer (back and main buffer)
- z buffer (and stencil data too if used)
- light/shadow maps (depends on game)
- vertex and index buffers (the triangle data)
- texture memory

There are likely other consumers of memory and some overhead & bookkeeping.

The bottom line is if you don’t have enough you will get thrashing as the driver attempts to work around the memory limits.

Reducing texture quality can help, as can reducing resolution, or world detail levels. Or just get one of those 32mb or higher gfx cards 😀 Even if it’s only 64 bit (e.g. budget card), fps should be much higher than with thrashing to main memory. PCI cards work great, because if you’re not thrashing, the driver can park everything on the card, meaning the reduced bandwidth of PCI (vs AGP) isn’t really an issue.

Reply 7 of 16, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just saw a ebay listing last night for a Pentium III 800MHz for like 35 bucks and was thinking about bid-sniping it near the end of the auction, and it was still around there this morning but when I go back to check on it again, and it goes up to 84 DOLLARS. So much for that upgrade, better luck next time, I suppose 🤣

Reply 8 of 16, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont know other country here in spain i will not paid much more than 5 euro for almost ANY pentium 3 cpu, even tualatin are cheap but not common

I have a pentium 3 1ghz 133mhz bus in my DOS build and is best in my opinion

Reply 12 of 16, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theelf wrote on 2024-02-26, 21:50:

I dont know other country here in spain i will not paid much more than 5 euro for almost ANY pentium 3 cpu, even tualatin are cheap but not common

The Socket 370 PIIIs are pretty cheap, but of course, the Slot 1 versions are not, unfortunately.

Reply 13 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there are $12 slotkets on US ebay, will need ripping out one pin and soldering two wires to make them coppermine ready

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 14 of 16, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OpenRift wrote on 2024-02-26, 22:11:
theelf wrote on 2024-02-26, 21:50:

The Socket 370 PIIIs are pretty cheap, but of course, the Slot 1 versions are not, unfortunately.

Here in spain slot 1 P2/3 are cheap too, i will not pay more than 5 euro only cpu and 10-20 for cpu+motherboard,and 20 only if very good one both cpu and mb

Reply 15 of 16, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theelf wrote on 2024-02-26, 22:40:

Here in spain slot 1 P2/3 are cheap too, i will not pay more than 5 euro only cpu and 10-20 for cpu+motherboard,and 20 only if very good one both cpu and mb

Mmm maybe he refers to the high-clocked Coppermines in Slot format these are not very usual, not the typical Katmai 450 or 500mhz.

Otherwise you're right, I've just got P2 and P3 in a slotket for 10€ in Wallapop xD

Reply 16 of 16, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mmx_91 wrote on 2024-02-27, 10:02:
theelf wrote on 2024-02-26, 22:40:

Mmm maybe he refers to the high-clocked Coppermines in Slot format these are not very usual, not the typical Katmai 450 or 500mhz.

Otherwise you're right, I've just got P2 and P3 in a slotket for 10€ in Wallapop xD

jeje wallapop is not about "Coppermine" or "tualatin" etc is about "cpu viejo" "pentium" etc. and check every image one by one.. jeje is like going to flea market but in cellphone! jeje

Last dicember i bought a tualatin 1.4ghz, with motherboard and a live 5.1 for 15 euro plus shipping... but the listing was "placa vintage creative"