VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there,

I have received a 386 board (Soyo 019H, 256kb cache) with an Am386 DXL-40. It was mostly working fine, but when I started playing some games it would regularly freeze randomly. I suspected the RAM and tried to do some memtest86+ v2.00 to check it. The board also has an IIT 4C87-40 FPU, and I'm using 4x1MB of SIMMs.

With default BIOS settings, it will always fail at 33% with an "Unexpected Interrupt - Halting" and a type "Type: Gen_Prot" error, always at the same spot (Test #6 Moving Inversions, 32 bit pattern), Pattern: fffffffe (screenshot below).
Trying to toy with the DRAM Parameters, the only one that made a difference is if I change the "Refresh" from the default "Concurrent" to "Standard". Then it will pass the 33% spot, but will eventually either simply freeze later during test #6, or give another similar error (unexpected interrupt / gen_prot) later during the test.

More info:

- I consider the four 1MB SIMMs are good, I've tested them on a 486 motherboard with the same memtest floppy and it did 3 full pass with no error. I still tried another set of 4x1MB, fails at the same 33%, with "Refresh concurrent". With "Refresh Standard", it passed the 33% mark as well and didn't do another unexpected interrupt, but started throwing out a couple of regular memtest errors down the road (during test #7 random patterns I think).
- Also tried with 4x4MB, same error at 33% with "Refresh Concurrent". Currently running a "Refresh Standard" check with that set. At this stage I'm trying to wonder it fhat's not a memtest 2.00 issue on that particular hardware...
- Tried memtest 4.10, supposedly the last version to support 386, it freezes as soon as the software starts.
- Currently the BIOS is a Mr. BIOS version, I swapped it back to the original BIOS and the same behavior happens so it doesn't seem to be linked to BIOS.
- I've stripped down the setup to the minimum and I'm currently still making tests in this setup: board, RAM, CPU, VGA card, IO card, floppy drive. No difference
- Swapped IO and VGA just to test, no difference

Would anybody have any suggestion what is happening and give any hint about what do test next? Cheers

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 13.12.59.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 13.12.59.jpeg
File size
381.33 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 13.35.32.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 13.35.32.jpeg
File size
224.76 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 1 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the 4x4MB and DRAM refresh set to standard I now passed the 33% test successfully as well. Those are fresh sticks made by Tiido, so I have very high confidence those are good. I'll let it run completely and hopefully it does a full pass with no error, and if that's the case I'll try some games again to see if I see no/less random freezes. 16MB takes a lot of time to test, though 😁 and is way more than the 4MB I wanted to use on this board. But heh...if it works, it works and I won't complain!

Reply 2 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fail -_-

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 15.43.03.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 15.43.03.jpeg
File size
381.24 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

really wondering if that's some memtest bugs. I guess I'll try to play some games again with those settings and the 4x4MB sticks at this stage...

Reply 3 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I *may* have found the issue. It's very possible memtest really threw me off and made me waste a lot of time... trying more games using conventional memory only, I couldn't reproduce any freeze, which made me realized that my standard DOS menu I copied off my 486 with some emm386 customization may have been the culprit from the beginning. I have modified it to a very basic setup and so far so good...will update if something new comes up in my testing

Reply 5 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought so but was too quick. I still get random problems. Even worse, I thought I narrowed it down to memory manager and everything was fine without it, but I just had another similar freeze in that configuration 🙁 back to step 1...

Reply 8 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good idea, didn't suspect anything in regards to cache. I will test that. Thanks for the tip!

rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-25, 20:47:

Id look at all ETEQ pins too

Thanks, if cache ends up a dead end I'll get the microscope and give it a good look tomorrow.

Reply 9 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the cache is a good lead! I removed 128KB last night, and a leg from a chip came right off...I suspect it may have been fragile already.
I disabled all cache in the BIOS and ran memtest again overnight, no error! It made a full pass and a half and was still running. So I re-enabled the cache in the BIOS and ran memtest again before going to work. I'll see the results tonight.

Reply 11 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, that does look like a culprit indeed but I can't 100% guarantee that the leg was already broken and it did not happen during the extraction process..they were quite stuck, I used a chip extractor and had to apply non-trivial force to get them out but did it as cleanly as possible, but you never know, those legs are tiny. In any case, I'd rather be at home working on it than in the office but it'll have to wait for tonight 😁

Reply 12 of 16, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Boohyaka wrote on 2024-02-26, 07:16:

Yep, that does look like a culprit indeed but I can't 100% guarantee that the leg was already broken and it did not happen during the extraction process..they were quite stuck, I used a chip extractor and had to apply non-trivial force to get them out but did it as cleanly as possible, but you never know, those legs are tiny. In any case, I'd rather be at home working on it than in the office but it'll have to wait for tonight 😁

The good news is those 28-pin, 32KB cache chips are readily available and even still being made, although I have found some of my UMC 481/491 chipset boards to be picky about brand

Reply 13 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. But if it works I'll probably keep it running with 128KB. Not a build I'm trying to max out or anything, actually quite the opposite 😀 I have enough other machines if I need more performance!

Reply 14 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what do you know, came back from work to close to 5 successful passes with no errors in memtest 😁 looks like that little cache chip bastard really was after it all in the end.

thanks Paar for putting me on the right track, I really overlooked cache, doh.

I may try to get back to the original 4x1MB sticks and replace the faulty cache chip with some spare I probably have around to get back to the 256kb, but at this stage I'd rather play some games to confirm overall stability 😀

Reply 16 of 16, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so the computer is now rock stable even with the 4x1MB sticks. Even the RAM refresh BIOS setting back to "Concurrent" instead of "Standard" works fine. I can only assume this setting makes the RAM interact in a different way with the cache?

All in all it's a happy ending 😀 it will stay at 128KB, not like it makes a dramatic difference.