VOGONS

First post, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to get my psx controller working with SNESkey under DOS by connecting it via an adapter to the parallel port of my 486 pc. It actually worked, well, partially. When I test it using sneskey /x, all the buttons worked perfectly fine. It stopped working when a game launched through. After a lot of googling and researching, I find that there are two different ways of wiring. One is the SNESkey's way:

sneskey.JPG
Filename
sneskey.JPG
File size
42.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And the other is DirectPad Pro's way:

DirectPad Pro.gif
Filename
DirectPad Pro.gif
File size
2.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The two have some pins wiring the same way but not others. Especially the pin4(DB25) in SNESkey's schematic. It has a 200k resistor there where the DirectPad Pro don't. My partially working adapter was a DirectPad Pro one. I thought that may be the reason why the controller didn't work with a game. So I ordered a 200k resistor online, then soldered it to pin4(DB25). Immediately after soldering the resistor, the controller stopped working even with sneskey /x. I thought this might be caused by other differences in wiring. So I disconnected pin12(DB25) which isn't needed by SNESkey, making pin18-25 GND. But it doesn't make any difference. The controller still doesn't respond. What should I do now? Please help me.

Constantly looking for the driver for Acer Magic v1 MPEG decoding card.

Reply 2 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

>When I test it using sneskey /x, all the buttons worked perfectly fine.

Your problem doesnt appear to be wiring, first one was good.

> It stopped working when a game launched through

what game? is sneskey a driver which is supposed to inject keyboard keys when pressing pad keys? This is very problematic under DOS. Most dos games will read keyboard by communicating directly with keyboard controller and might be immune to injecting keys.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 13, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-28, 02:18:

what game?

Mainly Prince of Persia, also tried Hexen. Neither worked.

is sneskey a driver which is supposed to inject keyboard keys when pressing pad keys?

I think it is.

This is very problematic under DOS. Most dos games will read keyboard by communicating directly with keyboard controller and might be immune to injecting keys.

Since SNESkey is most recommended program to use game controllers under DOS, I assume it supports most of DOS games without serious compatibility issues.

Reply 4 of 13, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

can this be done with directpad pro under win9x without using dosbox? that is to say, does the windows command prompt have joystick support in the same manner as emulating a soundblaster and mpu401?

Reply 5 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Injecting keys under windows is supported by the OS so no problem, and SNESkey https://arcadecontrols.com/Mirrors/www.csc.tn … ork/default.htm appears to have windows version of the driver.

Now I was under the impression under DOS it would not be reliable, but reading SNESkey readme it appears there exist a way of sending keystrokes directly to a keyboard controller buffer.
GunKneeNeon configure SNESkey for normal asci keys A B C D, run it in TRS mode and see if your pad can type in the command prompt.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 13, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2024-02-28, 07:02:

can this be done with directpad pro under win9x without using dosbox? that is to say, does the windows command prompt have joystick support in the same manner as emulating a soundblaster and mpu401?

In Win98, I use JoyToKey to map game controller buttons to keyboard keys. It works fine in command prompt. The issue I encountered was it cannot emulate a key being hold down. For example to play Prince of Persia properly I have to map a button to RShift key, but when I hold the button in game, it triggers RShift key one time. New version of JoyToKey supports key holding down, but it doesn't compatible with Win9x. Maybe AHK could do the trick, but I'm not that interested in doing that, I'm more into using game controller in pure DOS.

Reply 7 of 13, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-28, 07:33:

Injecting keys under windows is supported by the OS so no problem, and SNESkey https://arcadecontrols.com/Mirrors/www.csc.tn … ork/default.htm appears to have windows version of the driver.
Now I was under the impression under DOS it would not be reliable, but reading SNESkey readme it appears there exist a way of sending keystrokes directly to a keyboard controller buffer.
GunKneeNeon configure SNESkey for normal asci keys A B C D, run it in TRS mode and see if your pad can type in the command prompt.

For one thing, the official document reads the Windows version of SNESkey doesn't support psx controller. For another I'm not into configuring the controller in Windows. I want to use it in pure DOS. I saw someone using it to play Crusader: No Remorse, which is not playable under Windows command prompt.

Reply 8 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First part of my reply (about windows) was to stanwebber.

GunKneeNeon configure DOS SNESkey for normal asci keys A B C D, run it in TRS mode and see if your pad can type in the command prompt.

Reply 9 of 13, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-28, 22:32:

First part of my reply (about windows) was to stanwebber.

GunKneeNeon configure DOS SNESkey for normal asci keys A B C D, run it in TRS mode and see if your pad can type in the command prompt.

I tried it before rewiring the adapter to no avail. That's part of the reason I rewire the adapter.

Reply 10 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

but you said

>using sneskey /x, all the buttons worked perfectly fine

so its not a wiring issue. You might have keyboard controller that doesnt support injecting keystrokes, so PAD works, but cant inject anything in DOS

Reply 11 of 13, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-29, 07:19:

but you said

>using sneskey /x, all the buttons worked perfectly fine

so its not a wiring issue. You might have keyboard controller that doesnt support injecting keystrokes, so PAD works, but cant inject anything in DOS

I've rewired the adapter back to its original state. Now sneskey /x works again.
I tried sneskey /t again, it brings the banner and there is a cursor blinking. Then the OS freezes. I also tried to add a /v argument for debugging. This time it says "Memory allocation error Cannot start COMMAND, exiting; Memory allocation error Cannot load COMMAND, system halted".
I also tried set the ProgPath to C:\command.com and DrawDots to True. The gamepad again did nothing when I run Sneskey psx.ini. If I press any key of the keyboard, it will show in command prompt and there are a bunch of "O"s at the top right corner of screen. Then the OS freezes. I tired to change the MainInt to 1C, now the OS no longer freezes any more. But it will type all the characters mapped to the gamepad to the command line automatically(like "C:\3K163B>stslabcdr1l1r2l2") with a bunch of "O"s at the top right corner of the screen. The OS is still responding but none of the gamepad buttons works.
I also tried to change the KeySimMethod to every option I can choose with a lot of different 8042Addr values, no luck.

Maybe it's hardware related? My mobo is Cyrix MediaGX Lite, could it be my mobo doesn't support any keyboard injection? I also have another mobo, it's an ASUS CUSL2-C. But the BIOS doesn't let me set LPT mode to SPP(only SPP mode works, I have this mode in my Cyrix mobo's BIOS). With CUSL2-C, when I run sneskey /x, all buttons' state indicator keep blinking, as if I rapidly hit all the buttons on my pad. None of the buttons works.

Reply 13 of 13, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-29, 22:55:

Which dos are you using? maybe its too new for sneskey

MS-DOS 6.22 for Cyrix 486
MS-DOS 7.1 for ASUS P3