VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i've only now realized that the windows 95 driver for the AWE64 contains newer versions of the tools that are in the 95dosapp package:

aweutil.com 1.35 -> 1.36
diagnose.exe 4.04 -> 4.05
mixerset.exe 2.15 -> 2.18

i guess they just never bothered updating the 95dosapp package, but did they ever post a changelog for these? by the way, unless these are actually used by the windows driver, i never understood the purpose of the following lines that are added to autoexec:

SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0

also a little tidbit from the AWE32 FAQ that i thought was interesting:

18. My PC system does not have a working NMI. What can I do to use AWEUTIL?

One of the most common causes of a system not having a working NMI is that the system's memory parity checking has been turned off. You can check your system's memory parity checking status by activating your system's BIOS setup. Consult your system's user manual on how to activate BIOS/CMOS setup and memory parity checking.

not every chipset even supported parity, so unless they meant something else that seems like a nonsensical suggestion. oh and finally, if anyone hasn't noticed yet, it looks like creative finally got rid of all the old drivers sometime in the last months - nothing dated older than 2005 is available anymore as of right now.

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
auron wrote on 2024-02-28, 12:30:

i've only now realized that the windows 95 driver for the AWE64 contains newer versions of the tools that are in the 95dosapp package:

For pure DOS 6.22 you probably want S64BASIC.EXE which I've attached here. It should have the most up to date versions of all utilities.

AWE64 Basic Disk for DOS/Windows 3.1. 
File Name: s64basic.exe
Release date: 22 Dec 97
Filesize: 1.14 MB

Solves a problem on 486 system with CT4520 with large amount of upgrade sample DRAM when '/S' command line parameter is used.
Fixes bug on the shift in the Master Volume slider (jump to the end) whenever focus is switched back to it. This only happens after the Master-In Volume slider is adjusted.
Fixes wave playback looping problem in full duplex mode.
Removes the POP sound that can be heard during bootup. This event happens when the MIXERSET /p /q is inserted in the AUTOEXEC.BAT.
Fixes a bug on AWE Control Panel.
Resolves a problem when "Default" button is pressed under Creative MIDI Instrument Mapper when MIDI is playing.

These might not work for Win9x use, unless you modify them to not check for the WINBOOTDIR variable.

auron wrote on 2024-02-28, 12:30:

oh and finally, if anyone hasn't noticed yet, it looks like creative finally got rid of all the old drivers sometime in the last months - nothing dated older than 2005 is available anymore as of right now.

At the bottom right corner of the page where it says "Visit your region/country" manually select United States of America. It should still have all the drivers, at least it does for me.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi