VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm experiencing an interesting problem. Trying to play Rage Software's Incoming on a Socket 7 motherboard with a 430TX chipset causes the game to crash with an invalid instruction. However, it runs fine on a Socket 370 440LX. I tested on two Socket 7 motherboards with a Pentium 233 MMX, K6, K6-2, and K6-2+. The Socket 370 was running a Pentium MMX Mendocino processor (no SSE).

I am using the same video card, memory, and hard drive (including OS and files), so the only difference is the motherboard and CPU.

Does anyone know why this is crashing or how to debug this further?

incoming_430tx.png
Filename
incoming_430tx.png
File size
6.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 16, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-03, 14:03:

I guess it's just not compatible on Socket 7 then. That's too bad.

PCGamingWiki lists Incoming as released in 1998, with a minimum requirement of Pentium 133 MHz. I remember running it on a k6-2 400. I don't know why the game is crashing, but general incompatibility with socket 7 doesn't sound right.

Reply 4 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What was the installation done on? I am wondering if either windows, the graphics driver, DX, or Incoming installed a version requiring cmov if installed on a PII+ system, whereas it wouldn't have if installed on a bare min P133.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This may actually be the GOG release, I'm not sure. I've been using it for a while on my test drive because it's able to run the game with music without requiring the CD to be inserted.

I played it in 1998 as well, but that was on a Pentium 2, not a Socket 7.

Reply 7 of 16, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-03, 17:17:

This may actually be the GOG release, I'm not sure.

In my experience, GOG releases of Win9x games often integrate fan-made fixes without explicitly mentioning that anywhere. The end result is that the game executable may not work correctly on actual retro systems.

I suggest trying the retail release + latest official patch. It's doubtful that the original developers would have made P6 a requirement for a 1998 game.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 16, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2024-03-03, 17:37:

I just tested Incoming from a CD install on my Ezra-T and it worked fine... I don't think Ezra-T has CMOV.

It should have it, even the Cyrix MII had it. Which ironically makes them 686- class CPUs as opposed to the K6 which is 586 class because of this CMOV instruction. It is also the exact same instruction that prevents « modern-ish » linux distros from being installed in a K6.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 10 of 16, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note that the crash is in "win32.dll". This is almost certainly part of some patch that GoG have included with the game, that was probably compiled for a target machine with no regard to the original game's target.

Reply 11 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tested this on my P133 430FX and it installs and runs fine from the original CD.

P133_Sandra.jpg
Filename
P133_Sandra.jpg
File size
43.68 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 12 of 16, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-03-03, 18:03:

It shouldn't have it, even the Cyrix MII had it. Which ironically makes them 686- class CPUs as opposed to the K6 which is 586 class because of this CMOV instruction. It is also the exact same instruction that prevents « modern-ish » linux distros from being installed in a K6.

Fixed. You're mistaken. Ezra does not have it... Whether Ezra-T has it is the question, but that's doubtful. Ezra's successor, Nehemiah, has it.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 13 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Samuel might have it, Cyrixes next gen was trashed in favor of the Winchip team designs, so Ezra isn't really Cyrix

edit: NOPE got it backwards, Joshua was Cyrix, Samuel was winchip/centaur, which was the design that evolved.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 16, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-04, 04:23:

edit: NOPE got it backwards, Joshua was Cyrix, Samuel was winchip/centaur, which was the design that evolved.

Learn your Prophets... It's chronological... Ezra and Nehemiah lived loooong after Joshua and Samuel.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 15 of 16, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2024-03-03, 21:28:
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-03-03, 18:03:

It shouldn't have it, even the Cyrix MII had it. Which ironically makes them 686- class CPUs as opposed to the K6 which is 586 class because of this CMOV instruction. It is also the exact same instruction that prevents « modern-ish » linux distros from being installed in a K6.

Fixed. You're mistaken. Ezra does not have it... Whether Ezra-T has it is the question, but that's doubtful. Ezra's successor, Nehemiah, has it.

Ah I indeed didn't account for the Centaur core switchover, my bad. But well, as other said I ran Incoming on a K6 perfectly fine at the time, so no CMOV needed with the original version.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 16 of 16, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-03, 17:22:

GOG releases often integrate fan-made fixes. The end result is that the game executable may not work correctly on actual retro systems.

I haven't seen them inject those into the CDs though, just the installed files. So if a release isn't just loose files but includes a disc image then that should still be a good starting point.