VOGONS

First post, by RobertAstrofein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have trouble reading the flash module TS128MDOM44H-S . I use an adapter that converts from IDE to USB and then connects to a PC. With this only the adapter is recognized as a USB device, but the module itslef doesn't show up. One change that occured recently was that a red LED on the module now lights up continuously. Previously there was only a blue LED next to it that was on when it is powered. Now both LEDs are on. So what does this red LED mean? From the data sheet of the module I could only get the following information: "LED indicates status of usage (Data Access)". However, I would like to know more precisely what is wrong with the module, i.e. what the red LED indicates and how it could still be read out.

Reply 1 of 23, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure the SDD is good? I don't know the specifics of your model but some of these SSDs need external power.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 23, by RobertAstrofein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it only runs with eternal power. I meant the LEDs are only on in the powered state. My guess is that a short occured and the red LED indicates some kind of damaged state. But I am not entirely sure about that. And when examining the module I can't find any visible damage.

Reply 3 of 23, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unlike mechanical hard drives, SSDs have a lifespan.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB

Reply 4 of 23, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-04, 14:39:

They can both last a long time if you power them on for 1 hour every 6 months and that's all you ever do with them, but here's some industry analysis:

https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery … d-lifespan.html

The lifespan of an SSD is significantly longer than that of an HDD. While HDDs tend to last around 3-5 years, SSDs can last up to 10 years or more. This is because SSDs have no moving parts, whereas HDDs have spinning disks that can wear down over time.

Additionally, SSDs don't require defragmentation like HDDs do, which also helps to extend their lifespan. So if you're looking for a computer storage solution that will last for a long time, an SSD is the way to go.

https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/hardwa … ncy-of-a-drive/

Drive Life Expectancy at-a-Glance - The following chart shows the planned life expectancy of HDDs, SSDs, and flash memory. Actual life expectancy will vary based on a wide range of conditions, environmental factors, and usage.

Type of Drive Planned Life Expectancy
Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) 4-7 years
Solid-State Drives (SSDs) 5-10 years
Flash 10 years average use

This reminds me, time to pull out the old XT and spin the drives for a bit!

Reply 6 of 23, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … 8MDOM44H-S.html
does it support LBA? that document is a little worrying defining CHS on the last page. USB bridge wont work with CHS only drive.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 23, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-04, 19:07:

does it support LBA? that document is a little worrying defining CHS on the last page. USB bridge wont work with CHS only drive.

Just before, where it shows the expected output of the identify command, it says variable result for max LBA capacity, so hopefully yes - it could sure have been clearer, though!
Unless it's implied in the "ATA-4 bit definitions"?

As for OP's question - is a proper gender changer, not a single pin strip (like 2 of them with a cable in the middle!), being used?

Reply 8 of 23, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-04, 18:43:

I'm pretty sure mechanical drives also have a lifespan.

Yes, but that wasn't my point. For SSDs, there's a limit to the write and erase cycles.

Duke_2600.png

Reply 9 of 23, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-04, 20:26:

Yes, but that wasn't my point. For SSDs, there's a limit to the write and erase cycles.

Get a 15 year old SSD that had a desktop/consumer usage pattern and check out the remaining flash endurance in the smart attributes. Once you see that number, you’ll be thinking, “Gee, I guess this thing is going to out live me”

Not saying that SSD’s don’t die. Just saying that they last longer than hard drives and that flash endurance usually isn’t the reason that they die.

Reply 11 of 23, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-03-05, 03:25:
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-04, 20:26:

Get a 15 year old SSD that had a desktop/consumer usage pattern and check out the remaining flash endurance in the smart attributes. Once you see that number, you’ll be thinking, “Gee, I guess this thing is going to out live me”

Not saying that SSD’s don’t die. Just saying that they last longer than hard drives and that flash endurance usually isn’t the reason that they die.

Sure, but in both cases it entirely depends on the usage. I have two WD Black which is configured as Linux RAID zero that according to SMART been on for about 10 years.

Duke_2600.png

Reply 12 of 23, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-05, 11:39:

Sure, but in both cases it entirely depends on the usage. I have two WD Black which is configured as Linux RAID zero that according to SMART been on for about 10 years.

I'm glad your drives are holding up. My mirrored drives have only been on for 8 years. Yes, they are magnetic because that was the most cost effective choice at the time. Doesn't change the fact that SSD's have a higher MTBF and there's a reason why I wanted more than 1 mechanical drive to hold the data.

I think we both agree that regardless of the storage media, SSD or magnetic, if you put the drives in a data center usage pattern, you should expect a shorter life but let's talk about desktop usage. Can we agree that it's for a rare desktop hard drives to do more that 5 TB of writes a year? The actual number is well under 1TB, but let's say 5TB for the sake of argument, it case you are a power user.

These guys did a torture test a few years back. https://techreport.com/review/the-ssd-enduran … king-petabytes/ They didn't get any SSD failures until after 600TB of writes, and the best made it over 2Petabytes of writes.

If your hard drive does 5 TB of writes a year, it's not unreasonable to expect your flash to last for 100 years of writes if treated well. Something else is likely to fail before the flash endurance runs out. And who here expects a mechanical drive to last 100 years?

So just because the builder was able to predict how long flash will last, it doesn't mean it's going to have a shorter life.

Reply 13 of 23, by RobertAstrofein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2024-03-04, 20:00:
Just before, where it shows the expected output of the identify command, it says variable result for max LBA capacity, so hopefu […]
Show full quote

Just before, where it shows the expected output of the identify command, it says variable result for max LBA capacity, so hopefully yes - it could sure have been clearer, though!

As for OP's question - is a proper gender changer, not a single pin strip (like 2 of them with a cable in the middle!), being used?

I might not have used a proper gender changer then. The adapter I used was this one: https://cdn.soselectronic.com/productdata/a5/ … /rf-3833988.pdf.
For the connection from adapter to module I just used a 44-pin header.

Reply 14 of 23, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RobertAstrofein wrote on 2024-03-06, 15:15:
Ryccardo wrote on 2024-03-04, 20:00:
Just before, where it shows the expected output of the identify command, it says variable result for max LBA capacity, so hopefu […]
Show full quote

I might not have used a proper gender changer then. The adapter I used was this one: https://cdn.soselectronic.com/productdata/a5/ … /rf-3833988.pdf.
For the connection from adapter to module I just used a 44-pin header.

Yup. you didn't use an appropriate gender changer.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 16 of 23, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, looking at the datasheet for the TS128MDOM44H-S, and looking at the 44pin pata pinout.

If you use a 44-pin header, you end up sticking pin 1 onto pin 43, pin 2 onto pin 44, pin 3 onto pin 41, etc...

and if I had a euro for every time this happened this year, I'ld have two euros, which isn't a lot, but it's odd that it already happened twice this year. 😀

Do not ask Why !

Reply 17 of 23, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-07, 16:08:

Well, looking at the datasheet for the TS128MDOM44H-S, and looking at the 44pin pata pinout.

If you use a 44-pin header, you end up sticking pin 1 onto pin 43, pin 2 onto pin 44, pin 3 onto pin 41, etc...

and if I had a euro for every time this happened this year, I'ld have two euros, which isn't a lot, but it's odd that it already happened twice this year. 😀

You'd have three! I could feel that something wasn't right with my plan to use such an adapter, but I couldn't really imagine it until it didn't work and I visually figured it out.

Reply 18 of 23, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2024-03-07, 16:44:

You'd have three! I could feel that something wasn't right with my plan to use such an adapter, but I couldn't really imagine it until it didn't work and I visually figured it out.

No, just two, since I counted yours as the first one. 😀

unless I forgot someone ? mmh 🤔

Do not ask Why !

Reply 19 of 23, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-07, 16:50:
konc wrote on 2024-03-07, 16:44:

No, just two, since I counted yours as the first one. 😀

unless I forgot someone ? mmh 🤔

I believe you're talking about this thread which is not mine,
IDE2CF adapter won’t work when connected via cable
but I did reply confirming you because of my recent experience with the same thing