VOGONS

First post, by geiger9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spoiler

IdylWX9.jpg

Like the post title says, how would you go about removing this CPU from it's socket? Is there a special tool? I feel uneasy about using a PLCC removal tool because it would only lift two corners at a time, not all four.

Reason why I want to do this is so that I can wash the motherboard and I'd like to remove anything socketed before hand.

Reply 1 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

do not try to use a plcc tool. the pins are actually wrapped outward (as for surface mount) and you would ruin them. the socket should open... the top, right and bottom in your picture should pivot out or be pop-able up iirc.
Been decades since messing with one them socket types so could be wrong.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The clips that you need to press are the crescents on the corners at the top. You push them in toward center slightly and lift flange that surrounds the CPU those little tabs stay with the motherboard and the entire flange around the perimeter lifts off of the rest of it.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here we go... Haynes 1991 80386 workshop manual... section, CPU... yada yada yada yada.. refer CPU repairs to dealer service department ... yada yada yada... ah here we go...

"Section 10-4 Removal of the CPU.

Removal is the reverse of insertion."

damn, so where was that...

"Section 9-1 Installation of CPU

Align arrow or dot of CPU with marking on socket for correct orientation then press firmly."

So there you have it, unpress and disalign the arrows, Haynes knows best.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 15, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have never seen a socket like this before. What processor is that? A 286? I tried Googling "FQFP Intel CPU" but didn't get any image hits that were similar.

Please share photos of the processor and socket, if you're able to remove it.

Reply 5 of 15, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-05, 06:55:

What processor is that? A 286? I tried Googling "FQFP Intel CPU" but didn't get any image hits that were similar.

386 SX 16 ?

Reply 6 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-05, 06:55:

I have never seen a socket like this before. What processor is that? A 286? I tried Googling "FQFP Intel CPU" but didn't get any image hits that were similar.

Please share photos of the processor and socket, if you're able to remove it.

It's probably under just QFP or maybe PLCC 386

But yeah, seen the CPU before and sockets similar but not quite like this... the ones I have dealt with are more like "insert toothpick into each corner and using all four of your hands gently pry it out." whereas this seems to have some locking or clamping that is a bit mysterious. It might be the mysterious QFP100 test socket that Anonymous Coward might know about.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 15, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never heard of FQFP, but this looks like PQFP

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah generally just called a QFP, cpu world has some pics and my AMD 386SX-40 is one....usually they are not socketed but soldered 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Zeos motherboard project

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 15, by geiger9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry for my delay. Yes, it is a 386SX, this model to be exact https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80386/Intel-NG80386SX-16.html. The motherboard comes out of a Hewitt Rand brand computer.

I made a few more attempts to remove it using some advice above but it's just not budging. I don't feel comfortable applying that much force to this thing and it's just not worth it to me now to remove it.

Reply 13 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The L shaped tabs get pushed inward while lifting the outer flange

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    File size
    38.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 14 of 15, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should be fine to wash it in the sink with it in the socket. Just be sure to rinse it really well. If you want to be extra careful, blow the socket dry with canned air, then fill it with rubbing alcohol and blow it again to make sure that it's dry. This is what I do around sensitive areas when I want to ensure that no water or soap is left behind.

You'll know that you've gotten all the soap out when no bubbles form from the compressed air spray.

Reply 15 of 15, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-07, 08:42:

You should be fine to wash it in the sink with it in the socket. Just be sure to rinse it really well. If you want to be extra careful, blow the socket dry with canned air, then fill it with rubbing alcohol and blow it again to make sure that it's dry. This is what I do around sensitive areas when I want to ensure that no water or soap is left behind.

You'll know that you've gotten all the soap out when no bubbles form from the compressed air spray.

I do this for every board that comes through my shop. Wash with mild soap and water. Rinse with 99% alcohol. Compressed air.

Never had a problem.