VOGONS

First post, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all. I’ve got a bit of a problem that I don’t recall ever experiencing before. My DFI G7S620 refuses to display from my ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (Mach32 chipset) during boot-up. The board defaults to the integrated graphics instead. This is a known-good PCI card that works in other motherboards (a Socket 478 board and another LGA 775 board, specifically). I haven’t found a BIOS setting on the G7S620 that seems to affect the PCI bus timings or voltages that might cause this problem. I’m really at a loss.

This motherboard boots fine with other vintage PCI graphics cards such as my Matrox Impression Plus and Cirrus Logic GD5446. I haven’t tested all of my PCI cards for compatibility, but the ATI card is one I’d really like to use with this board (it’s an awesome card for early versions of OS/2).

Has anyone here ever had a random PCI card fail to work with a mid-2000s motherboard at boot time? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

Reply 1 of 21, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some PCI video cards are keyed for universal PCI slots but require 3.3V. If you put them in an old 5V PCI motherboard they won't work.

Don't know if that's your issue, but the fact it works in newer mobos with 3.3V PCI slots makes me suspect it.

Reply 2 of 21, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-06, 00:04:

Some PCI video cards are keyed for universal PCI slots but require 3.3V. If you put them in an old 5V PCI motherboard they won't work.

Don't know if that's your issue, but the fact it works in newer mobos with 3.3V PCI slots makes me suspect it.

I thought something like that initially, but my ATI card is keyed for 5V, the same as the motherboard. The other PCI cards I've tried that do work with my G7S620 also have 5V keys.

Reply 3 of 21, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-03-06, 00:50:
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-06, 00:04:

I thought something like that initially, but my ATI card is keyed for 5V, the same as the motherboard. The other PCI cards I've tried that do work with my G7S620 also have 5V keys.

To repeat, just because it has the key for 5V doesn't mean it will work on 5V. Some still need 3.3V. The Rage XL PCI cards you get from ebay are all like this.

Reply 4 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! Some ATI PCI cards will not work proper on some older PCI boards, the Rage XL series is one.....ATI Rage XL 8MB on 486 PCI

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 21, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2024-03-06, 01:08:

Agree ! Some ATI PCI cards will not work proper on some older PCI boards, the Rage XL series is one.....ATI Rage XL 8MB on 486 PCI

Yep, this was the exact issue I was referencing. It's usually pretty easy to bodge an AMS1117-3.3V LDO on the card itself to get it working. The AMS1117-3.3 is highly recommended because it doesn't require external protection diodes and is stable w/o external capacitors. Although, oddly, most of the ATI cards affected do have the 5V decoupling caps despite not having the regulator.

Reply 6 of 21, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the 3.3V issue true for the Mach32? This was a chipset designed for multiple buses.

I'm looking for a Mach32 pin-out right now, but I'm not having much luck finding a datasheet. On the other hand, if I'm interpreting the edge connector properly, it doesn't look like the 3.3V contacts connect to anything.

Reply 7 of 21, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-03-06, 01:21:

Is the 3.3V issue true for the Mach32? This was a chipset designed for multiple buses.

I'm looking for a Mach32 pin-out right now, but I'm not having much luck finding a datasheet. On the other hand, if I'm interpreting the edge connector properly, it doesn't look like the 3.3V contacts connect to anything.

That I don't know. I just know your exact issue does affect some ATI PCI cards. The power section will be external to the chipset.

Reply 8 of 21, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is about the time that I wish I had a PCI analyzer card that would show if the system is providing the correct voltages.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ATI PCI cards of similar vintage to test. The next oldest I have is a Radeon 9000, which just worked in the board a moment ago.

Reply 9 of 21, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

possible reasons
- no 5V voltage while card hardwired for 5V
- no 3.3V voltage while card hardwired for 3.3V
- corrupted video bios
- only legacy video bios on UEFI platform with no/off legacy support
- pci incompatibility? maybe on some very rare bad designs? Certainly not when talking Intel chipset, but Mach32 was ATIs first PCI implementation so maybe?

Does it show in the bios PCI device initialization list? In windows device manager?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 21, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-03-06, 01:40:

This is about the time that I wish I had a PCI analyzer card that would show if the system is providing the correct voltages.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ATI PCI cards of similar vintage to test. The next oldest I have is a Radeon 9000, which just worked in the board a moment ago.

Power up the board with it flipped over. Probe the +3.3V solder joints on one of the PCI slots. Make sure you pick one of the +3.3V rails, not the +3.3V I/O. If it has +3.3V then the issue is elsewhere.

Reply 11 of 21, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-06, 02:00:
possible reasons - no 5V voltage while card hardwired for 5V - no 3.3V voltage while card hardwired for 3.3V - corrupted video b […]
Show full quote

possible reasons
- corrupted video bios
- pci incompatibility? maybe on some very rare bad designs? Certainly not when talking Intel chipset, but Mach32 was ATIs first PCI implementation so maybe?

Does it show in the bios PCI device initialization list? In windows device manager?

OK, so I gave the Mach32 another try to see if the BIOS listed two graphics adapters in the device list, and the computer booted with the ATI card as the display devoice. Unfortunately, the BIOS showed corrupted characters.

I reseated the card, and the BIOS again booted with the Mach32 as the display device with good characters. I then tried to boot into OS/2 1.3 which I have configured for the Mach32. It booted to the GUI, but the colors were corrupted. I reseated the card multiple times and in different slots, but I got the same corrupted colors each time.

Reply 12 of 21, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-03-06, 02:40:
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-06, 02:00:
possible reasons - no 5V voltage while card hardwired for 5V - no 3.3V voltage while card hardwired for 3.3V - corrupted video b […]
Show full quote

possible reasons
- corrupted video bios

OK, so I gave the Mach32 another try to see if the BIOS listed two graphics adapters in the device list, and the computer booted with the ATI card as the display devoice. Unfortunately, the BIOS showed corrupted characters.

I reseated the card, and the BIOS again booted with the Mach32 as the display device with good characters. I then tried to boot into OS/2 1.3 which I have configured for the Mach32. It booted to the GUI, but the colors were corrupted. I reseated the card multiple times and in different slots, but I got the same corrupted colors each time.

interesting, no corruption when you put this card in another mobo, right?

Reply 14 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm maybe the "two graphics" is the issue ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 21, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do any other PCI cards work fine in that motherboard?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 18 of 21, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cleaned the card's contacts pretty throughly, and now the card initializes at boot reliably. Unfortunately, the color corruption still occurs in super VGA graphics modes (8-bit color mode specifically).

I ran some ATI diagnostics on the card, and it's finding memory errors. I'll need to run diagnostics on the card in another motherboard, but I don't remember having these issues on the board I normally use with this card.

I still wonder if I have some sort of PCI bus timing issue in the G7S620. It's weird that my other PCI cards don't have any problems on this board if that was the case.