VOGONS

First post, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm building a windows 98 retro Pentium 4 pc and I'm trying to search a good PSU for it.
The thing is that where I live there is barely any low watt PSUs and especially good ones that are locally sold. So I searched on Amazon and the only PSU I found that is the closest to what I want is the EVGA Supernova 550 GT
So my questions are:
Is it considered as a good quality PSU?
Will there be any problems with a PSU on a Pentium 4 PC that its watts are a lot higher than what the PC is using (like will it damage anything)?

Here are some of the specs of the PC:
Pentium 4 Willamette 1.7GHz socket 478.
motherboard with 845E/845G/845PE/865... chipset.
Nvidia geforce4 TI/geforce3 TI GPU.
Sound Blaster Live.
256-512MB DDR 266/200 DDR RAM.
CD/DVD Drive.
Floppy Drive.

Reply 1 of 6, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In general you can always use a power source with higher max current* than what you'll need, in fact up to a point it's better (though you may lose some efficiency, it will still consume less than being used at nearly full load, and will be less stressed which will matter on cheapass ones measured in china-watts)

* total (output) power is really all marketing worse than megapixels, each voltage - and possibly separate "rails" of the same voltage - has its own current and therefore power limit;
as a rule of thumb if the motherboard has the 4 pin "pentium 4"/ATX12V power connector [which was introduced around the time of the... 😀 ] it will easily work with a modern, 12V-centric power brick (while an AGP card will likely be 3.3V heavy)

Reply 2 of 6, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That EVGA PSU will be fine. PSU wattage just represent the maximum power available to your PC (very simplified). A relatively good analogy would be the top speed of a car. For example, your car has a top speed of 185 km/h but you only drive at max 130 km/h. No harm done, right? You could put a 1000W PSU in there and it would work the same.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 6, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2024-03-08, 11:54:

In general you can always use a power source with higher max current* than what you'll need, in fact up to a point it's better (though you may lose some efficiency, it will still consume less than being used at nearly full load, and will be less stressed which will matter on cheapass ones measured in china-watts)

* total (output) power is really all marketing worse than megapixels, each voltage - and possibly separate "rails" of the same voltage - has its own current and therefore power limit;
as a rule of thumb if the motherboard has the 4 pin "pentium 4"/ATX12V power connector [which was introduced around the time of the... 😀 ] it will easily work with a modern, 12V-centric power brick (while an AGP card will likely be 3.3V heavy)

So does that mean that a 600w or a 650w PSU will also work well without damaging any component?

Reply 4 of 6, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought my analogy would help you understand. The PC draws as much "juice" from the PSU as it needs. I told you, you can use a 1000W PSU and it wouldn't really change anything. The wattage declared on the PSU doesn't mean the PSU just floods your PC with all that power. It just means it can potentially deliver it, if needed.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 6, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, the watts - or rather the amps (which are proportional, for the same DC voltage) are the maximum you can pull before something bad™ happens

(assuming a "constant" voltage power supply, the only kind you'd find in a PC unless you go out of your way to get something like an Olivetti M15 with a dedicated line for charging Ni-Cd batteries)