VOGONS

First post, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey everyone. I'm hoping you can give me a hand with an issue:

I've been trying (and failing) to install Windows XP SP3 on my Gigabyte GA 7DPXDW-P with no success. The board boots off the XP CD fine, loads drivers, and then throws a STOP: 0x0000007b BSOD. As far as I know, that error usually pops up when a SATA controller is involved, and it's set to AHCI mode, but my bord doesn't have SATA. It has a Promise RAID controller, but it has been disabled by jumper.

ga.jpg
Filename
ga.jpg
File size
559.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm trying to install XP on a 160GB Seagate ATA drive. I'm not using any adapters. What I've tried so far:
- using another 80 pin ide cable
- using a 40 pin ide cable
- using another known good IDE hdd (a 20GB)
- enabled the Promise controller, set it to ATA operation mode and hooked up the hard disk to one of it's IDE headers
- tried different RAM (several 1GB sticks from kingmax, OCZ, as well as some ECC Registered ram from elixir)
- tried different CPUs.
- tried different BIOS settings like setting the drive to large, auto, LBA

Nothing works. I still get 0x0000007b error. Has anyone encountered this before? Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 14, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the drive connected to the Promise controller you'd need to do F6 and install the driver during setup, or slipstream the driver onto the ISO. I have no experience with AMD Socket A chipsets, so I too would be mystified by that, other than maybe that chipset is so obscure that the XP ISO you have doesn't have the necessary driver, so the F6 method might be the only way with the standard IDE ports as well.

Using the F6 with the Promise controller ought to get XP installed, then install the chipset drivers and you'd be home free.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 14, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-03-10, 01:06:

With the drive connected to the Promise controller you'd need to do F6 and install the driver during setup, or slipstream the driver onto the ISO. I have no experience with AMD Socket A chipsets, so I too would be mystified by that, other than maybe that chipset is so obscure that the XP ISO you have doesn't have the necessary driver, so the F6 method might be the only way with the standard IDE ports as well.

Using the F6 with the Promise controller ought to get XP installed, then install the chipset drivers and you'd be home free.

I usually use nlite to slipstream. OP, you want what is commonly referred to as "text mode drivers".

Reply 4 of 14, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible that windows XP sp3 doesn't come with drivers for the AMD 760 southbridge either? Hmmm.

I had a look on gigabyte's website, and they supply drivers for both the promise controller and for the integrated IDE for up to windows server 2003. I'll download both, stick them on a floppy and give it a another shot. Thanks guys!

Reply 5 of 14, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think maybe there are some existing file system on the drive and it may confuse the xp installer text mode
you can tried to remove the hdd and boot the xp installer, if it can't detect the hdd it will complain about no drive and not 7b error.

you can tried to boot something like hirent's boot cd and erase the partition table of the hdd.

also i want to confirmed that you have stop code 7b when boot the textmode installer (the stage before format/copy the install file).

IDE is well supported by xp so install in that mainboard is not an issue.

I have this board also tyan mpx and install xp/2000 on those board is pretty smooth sailing experience

Reply 6 of 14, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nhattu1986 wrote on 2024-03-10, 08:31:
I think maybe there are some existing file system on the drive and it may confuse the xp installer text mode you can tried to r […]
Show full quote

I think maybe there are some existing file system on the drive and it may confuse the xp installer text mode
you can tried to remove the hdd and boot the xp installer, if it can't detect the hdd it will complain about no drive and not 7b error.

you can tried to boot something like hirent's boot cd and erase the partition table of the hdd.

also i want to confirmed that you have stop code 7b when boot the textmode installer (the stage before format/copy the install file).

IDE is well supported by xp so install in that mainboard is not an issue.

I have this board also tyan mpx and install xp/2000 on those board is pretty smooth sailing experience

The drive was blank. I also tried with another drive, same results...

I finally managed to install windows 2000 SP4, after coming across several threads (unrelated to my setup), about people encountering similar situations. The fix was modifying the windows XP installer files - somehow - but that got me thinking, and I tried win2k. It didn't wanna go either at first, throwing this error:

prob2k.jpg
Filename
prob2k.jpg
File size
291.97 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

No stop code, no blue screen of death, just complained that I had no disk drive attached. After a but if fiddling (enabled IDE write prefletch in BIOS, disabled the Promise controller, moved the DVD-RW to another IDE channel), it detected my 160Gb IDE drive and installed fine:

done.jpg
Filename
done.jpg
File size
278.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3dm.jpg
Filename
3dm.jpg
File size
275.68 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

^^^
3dmark01 with a Leadtek A400LE (Geforce 6800LE AGP), Forceware 61.77, DirectX 8.1, single Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1800MHz, 2GB of ECC Registered RAM.

Now, I have to ask, is there any particullar reason to install XP? I mean I suppose I could upgrade 2k to XP now, and I also plan on installing Windows 7 lite 32bit once the Athlon MPs arrive, but like I said, are there any reasons to go for XP SP3 over 2k SP4?

nhattu1986 wrote on 2024-03-10, 08:31:

Did you manage to get it going with Barton core CPUs? Mine has bios version F6 witch according to gigabyte's support page supports the Barton core Athlon MP 2800+. I tried my board with a couple of Thorton 2400+ (essentially bartons with half L2 cache disabled) and it did not want to post. I was hoping to bridge mod the Thortons to Athlon MP (L5 bridges). https://fab51.biosbude.de/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

Reply 7 of 14, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2024-03-10, 13:35:

Now, I have to ask, is there any particullar reason to install XP? I mean I suppose I could upgrade 2k to XP now, and I also plan on installing Windows 7 lite 32bit once the Athlon MPs arrive, but like I said, are there any reasons to go for XP SP3 over 2k SP4?

Did you manage to get it going with Barton core CPUs? Mine has bios version F6 witch according to gigabyte's support page supports the Barton core Athlon MP 2800+. I tried my board with a couple of Thorton 2400+ (essentially bartons with half L2 cache disabled) and it did not want to post. I was hoping to bridge mod the Thortons to Athlon MP (L5 bridges). https://fab51.biosbude.de/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

windows xp is more like a refined version of 2000, more eyes candy, the cmd does support tab completion (2000 doesn't)
i think xp support more game than 2000sp4 but that may be me.

Regards the cpu, i only have the T-bred cpu althlon xp-m and althlon xp with bridged the L5 using conduct silver paint and they are working fine on the gigabyte board.

Reply 8 of 14, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had (have) this board and ran it with Barton core MP 2800+ processors for many years.

I think it was pretty much a dead end though - I bought it with them and had no further upgrade path; just more ram.

Can't remember what bios mine ran. It was definitely the none "+", original board though.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 9 of 14, by Greywolf1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve had the same issue different motherboard I’ve resolved it with installing the sata controllers with F6 at install and was installing win xp sp2 too,
In my bios there was also a setting for os install but don’t know if it did anything.

Reply 10 of 14, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2024-03-10, 13:35:

I love Win2k, but I typically install XP SP2 or SP3 when the hardware will run it comfortably. I don't have an exact list of what XP can support over 2K, but it does support later browsers, later runtimes, later driver versions, has access to more patches (official and unofficial), has support for read-only BitLocker, support for later Office versions (2007 IIRC), etc. It's just a more comfortable OS to use in my opinion, and it easier to get various post-2000 software to run on it.

Win2k is lighter on resources, feels snappier and more professional, has less eye candy, and can use KernelEx to support some XP software. I think it's a fun challenge to get Win2k running more modern software.

A couple of my XP systems:

I have an early C2D laptop, 2 cores at 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, ATI X1600 - this system flies not only with XP SP3, but with unofficial SP4 that rolls up all the POS updates and optional patches. This is quite a bit faster than the Socket A platform though, and SP4 noticeably slows down older systems.

I also have a P3 1.0GHz Tualeron system with 512MB SDRAM, Quadro4, and an 840 Pro SSD and this system also performs well on XP SP3. Thinking about switching from XP to Win2k to give it a better workstation feel.

Lastly I have an Athlon XP 3200 system, 2GB DDR, ATI X800 AGP, and an SSD and it is my fastest 32-bit XP box.

Reply 11 of 14, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick update - I managed to install Windows XP on this board - but only Service Pack 1. I had a couple of windows XP Home Edition packs laying around, opened one and installed XP off the provided CD, witch worked without issue. Trouble is, XP home is restricted to 1 CPU. I burned a copy of XP PRO SP1 retail, and I will be attemtping to install that later today.

As a side note, I managed to bridge mod (L5 bridge) a set of Athlon XP 2600+ CPUs into Athlon MPs, trouble is these chips are FSB 333 and the motherboard only supports FSB 266, so they're running as dual Athlon MP 2000+. The chips are unlocked, but the board has no multiplyer options in BIOS (witch is a shame because it lets you set CPU voltage in .1 volt increments). I could pin mod them in an attempt to get 2000MHz (15x133) witch both chips should be fine with, as they normally run at 2083MHz, but for now I'll let them run at 1666MHz, and I've ordered a few 2400+ AXDA2400DKV3C (Thoroughbread, 2GHz, fsb 266) and a couple of 2200+ witch I will be bridge modding into athlon MP's. I have a pair of Thortons witch would be great at this board, they run at 2133MHz (133x16), but the gigabyte refuses to POST with any of them is stock form (256k of L2 enabled). It will however post with Barton core CPUs witch I find odd. I figured the board will like them if I unlock the rest of the L2 cache (they are crippled Bartons) but no luck in doing so. In fact I've tried unlocking a set of matching Duron 1600 applebread chips as well, but it seems that connecting the L2 bridges does nothing on either the Thortons or the Applebreads. After doing a bit of research I tried modding the L9 bridges as well, again with no results - the CPUs boot with 64k or 256k of L2 respectively...

Here are a few pics of the machine unpacking UT2004 and using both CPUs, and then later running UT2004:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
318.16 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
376.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
333.58 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BeSiRStvumM

Reply 12 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can I suggest some XP-M 2400/2600 chips too? These seem to be 266FSB Bartons.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 13 of 14, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2024-03-22, 09:15:

Can I suggest some XP-M 2400/2600 chips too? These seem to be 266FSB Bartons.

A set is priced similarly to the Athlon MP 2600+ chips, so I might as well order those... The 2400+ and 2200+'s I'm getting for 150 lei for 5 CPUs (that's 30 euro). I'd really love to order a pair of the 2600+ MPs tho, they run cooler then any bartons and are quite high clocked.

The reason I'm not using barton chips is that apart from a pair of 3200+, I have no matching set... but finding another barton 2600+ should be pretty easy. And I'm more interested in clock speed then L2 cache.