VOGONS

First post, by Lukaneus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have this Intel T440BX motherboard with Pentium 3 500Mkz (Katmai) processor.
I was very unhappy with the performance, and stability issues, especially in gaming, frame drops when more action on the screen was happening, or game stuttering even with titles which were not suppose to be demanding for this system.
I've already tried different PSU's, GPU's and so on, and I decided to update the BIOS hoping that might improve overall experience with this system.
Here's what heppend next.

1.I've found BIOS for my motherboard at the retro web here:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … shade-lite#bios
- I have the exact same model, so I took latest 4.03.1097 BIOS version for it.
- It "updated" successfully but it turned out it's actually older version that it was previously (also my bad I didn't properly verified it before I took an action)
- After some more search I've found newer BIOSes here:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … nightshade#bios
- Seems to be slightly different model supporting dual CPU's and I have Lite version with 1 CPU
- But I figured this must be also suited for the Lite version, because I remember I had previously the P11 version of the BIOS, and before I was more familiar with naming convention on these, it turned out I flashed it with P4 version
- So currently it is much older, and sees my Pentium 3 as Pentium 2 500Mhz also saying that stepping for this processor is not supported.
- But Windows 98 continues to start, so I can try to fix it.
- Also system will not boot with my Radeon 7500 and had to switch to using onboard Intel GPU
2. OK, so now I have an issue
- Now every attempt of update the BIOS, meets the following errors:
AP1GczPUO0ls38_s6xNBsD9sqTQ2ZOKCcrN1IBv_uGW6eAscTYLnHEb3mDcnMaJyp8L56vewhbZFHRnCafzsDpagw2wbctGWjFUYG_76cdBcHNF6ly59VSgno_hp3o2IgJYUtxNxVk2BIfEZhcEdW9w-pKrO=w1615-h872-s-no?authuser=0
AP1GczM0edj7j7iAWTual5Tdp4u_iR8JyH_Te9AbtQjKGGsZ3opZ2FNLnHI3v0pcfuHccFjTnX2-qZdoCY_rVzVVIAWRXU5p9p_VUg7OegsiMvAILoeByL8euB3LQ_cyu2cNvrJEvrbH6VtzrpqVyDS028ae=w1672-h903-s-no?authuser=0
AP1GczNAXEmEAmXqYwEusLRCArGt3XmhtRt3FbSfFDVhuhZ2HTDQARRSSxz9Vrazk-5sW-gAbGN8DZakUzDvd-PJqXuSLxhHp4LT79rpkfL5DODmMfSpk47q9Zx2rCrXeg6x3aXO9VbDf2tTf5ZqLQxpCv_T=w1680-h906-s-no?authuser=0
- I tried to update with different versions available from the retro web: P6, P11, P12, P14 and all ending up with same errors
- All of these above, using iflash tool
- The only version of BIOS which flashing successfully is the same I already have (tested). But the way it installs is different. The file provided, is creating boot floppy and it is more automated I would say.

Looking for solution I've found this auction for the same motherboard as mine:
https://aukro.cz/zakladni-deska-intel-t440bx- … kcni-7052409802
By the screenshots we can see that this one is running the P12 BIOS, or P14 judging by the date of BIOS - so I suppose it should also work for me.

But right now I'm stucked and out of ideas and cannot update to any newer version. I couldn't find any information on those errors.
If anyone is familiar with this kind of issue, or any advice what should be the next step please let me know.
Maybe different flash tool ? I tried to find one, but no luck here as well.
Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last version I was able to find was P12 here (biosp12.exe). Intel recommends you flash the server management as well (tbxbmc57.exe) but I cant remember if that should be done before or after the bios is flashed, I think it says in the readme file.

Not surprising you had to switch to on board graphics as the Nightshade board doesnt have an AGP slot so I would think its bios wouldnt support it.

(edit) I found the recommendation to install the BMC firmware 1st then the bios here although it might be mentioned in a readme as well. That is how I did it on my board.

Last edited by Grem Five on 2024-03-10, 14:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Lukaneus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much ! It worked and I've been able to update the BIOS to P12 version.
Regarding updating server management I've checked readme file, and to be honest I don't feel comfortable doing that yet, so for now I will skip that part. Right now I'm not using these server features anyway.
We can mark this topic as solved.

Reply 3 of 4, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to add, this is the last page I was able to find on wayback machine from 2004 that lists all the downloads for the board but of course the links do not work and is why I linked that other site which seems to have archived them before Intel took them down.

Reply 4 of 4, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Posts made by me edited to make links work on wayback machine in case anyone else needs these in the future.

Was a bit early here and my brain copy and pasted the wrong lines.