VOGONS

First post, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just built a computer with an Athlon XP 1600+ processor and an Abit KT7A motherboard under Windows 98SE. However, there is a problem - games using DirectX9 freeze immediately after entering the 3D environment. All other games using lower versions of DirectX work without problems. I checked it on ATI 9250, 9550, 9600, Nvidia FX5500 graphics cards and it always freezes. I changed RAM and all possible options in BIOS but nothing helped. I changed the processor to Atlon XP 2500+ but the problem still occurs. The same games run without any problems on my other computers with Pentium 3, 4, Core 2 Duo, Phenom and Windows 98.

I'm starting to wonder what's causing this problem, is it a motherboard or maybe Athlon XP is incompatible with DirectX 9 under Windows 98?

Reply 2 of 6, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maryoo wrote on 2024-03-12, 17:14:

I have just built a computer with an Athlon XP 1600+ processor and an Abit KT7A motherboard under Windows 98SE. However, there is a problem - games using DirectX9 freeze immediately after entering the 3D environment. All other games using lower versions of DirectX work without problems. I checked it on ATI 9250, 9550, 9600, Nvidia FX5500 graphics cards and it always freezes. I changed RAM and all possible options in BIOS but nothing helped. I changed the processor to Atlon XP 2500+ but the problem still occurs. The same games run without any problems on my other computers with Pentium 3, 4, Core 2 Duo, Phenom and Windows 98.

I'm starting to wonder what's causing this problem, is it a motherboard or maybe Athlon XP is incompatible with DirectX 9 under Windows 98?

The KT7-A is known to have flakey AGP... Keep trying other cards until you find one that is stable.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 3 of 6, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you run the Direct3D test cube under dxdiag? Tried disabling AGP texturing support in dxdiag? What happens when you run 3Dmark 03 (version 3.4.0 supports Win98), does it crash at the nature benchmark that uses DX9? Tried reinstalling DX9? I have a KT7A and it never freezes with any graphics card, but it absolutely hates Athlon XP's. I was getting black screens at boot, frequent crashes and freezes. I have just accepted it and switched to an Athlon Thunderbird, it's a much better fit anyway.

Reply 4 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in 2001 when I had a Kt7A I used to use Paul's Unofficial KT7 FAQ quite a bit for solving issues. Though it's long gone, it's still on the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20020205141221/ht … /kt7/kt7faq.htm

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey