VOGONS

First post, by pavel.sedina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some advice on whether it's necessary to install a cooling fan on an old Pentium 133MHz processor, and if so, whether applying thermal paste is also required. I had an old computer that stopped booting, which had a Pentium MMX with a fan attached to it (but it didn't seem to fit properly as the surface of this MMX was smaller than the surface of the cooler). Now, I've bought another piece in an auction and I'm wondering if I should address this cooling issue for the new piece. I don't remember whether such Pentiums were needed to actively cool down.

Would appreciate any insights or recommendations on this matter. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• PentiumMMX.jpg
    Filename
    PentiumMMX.jpg
    File size
    341.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Pentium133.jpg
    Filename
    Pentium133.jpg
    File size
    448.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, you need at least thermal paste and heatsink. They were usually actively cooled in computers from that time. You can probably get away with a large enough passive heatsink and good case ventilation. I had tried to run mine without a heatsink, it got extremely hot after a minute or so and I had to turn it off.

Reply 2 of 4, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heatsink + Fan was common back then on Pentiums. Never saw thermal paste, though. My P133 and a friend's P90 don't have thermal paste, but heatsink + fan and run fine to this day.
Not sure about the MMX, though.

I had tried to run mine without a heatsink, it got extremely hot after a minute or so and I had to turn it off.

Being teenagers back in the 90s, a friend and I also wondered how quickly Pentiums get hot, we turned the PC on with our fingers placed on the CPU, I think after 10 to 15 seconds we had to turn it off. Within seconds, the Pentium was cold as ice again. Oh well, good thing the Athlon XP didn't exist yet 😁

Reply 3 of 4, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remember Deskpro from Compaq with P200MMX and cooled by passive aluminium heatsink only, without fan. But that was a big piece of aluminum, with many thin ribs . If you have PPGA CPU, better use thermal grease between heatsink and heatspreader. Ceramic CPU was without grease or sometime with white silicone grease, IIRC.

Reply 4 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have no air circulation, I would use a heatsink + fan combo. If you have other case fans (e.g. intake fan), then you can probably get away with just a heatsink.

For example, I have a Pentium 200 setup where I rely on an 80mm intake fan to provide circulation.

Attachments

• Pentium 200 rebuilt.jpg
    Filename
    Pentium 200 rebuilt.jpg
    File size
    794.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards