VOGONS

Things I learned about fans

Topic actions

First post, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's no secret that retro rigs are often noisy. There's a lot of moving parts making some kind of a sound. Silent running wasn't a big consideration until in 2000s PC thermals went up and the PC fans ended up sounding like a jet engine. Even before that, there were manual fan controllers and you could build automatic ones with thermistors.

But in modern day and age, having a PC that wakes up people in the next room isn't really that practical.

So here's a few things I learned about fans while optimizing my own retro systems.

There's multiple types of fan noise.

With older ball-bearing fans, the loudest and most annoying one might be the high-pitched bearing noise, and most older fans get dirty and dry and sometimes the bearing gets jammed or damaged. In these cases, cleaning the fan, lubricating it with WD-70 or lithium grease might return the noise levels to stock, but you've got to be realistic - these fans weren't very silent to start with.

Older sleeve-bearing fans - mostly so worn that I just throw them away.

Even modern fans, when running at full speed, won't be very silent. Noctua fans I'm using have very silent bearings, but the bearing isn't the only thing making the noise. Old cases and power supplies have very restrictive airflow grates that create turbulence, especially when the fan blades are close to the grates, and most old cases only support 80 and 92mm fans that have to run faster, push more air through a narrower surface to try to match the CFM of 120 or 140mm fans. this creates even more turbulence. Noctua has come up with a solution - the IS1 series of fan spacers - but those are for 120 and 140mm fans, and I was unable to find any for smaller fans. So I guess I'll have to build my own. they are quite simple and seems like going above 5mm doesn't result in noticeable gains. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

I've also removed the grate of my old PSU, filed off the sharp edges and replaced it with a wire-based one, which didn't eliminate the noise, but significantly reduced it. I'm also planning to build a thermistor-based speed control for my PSU fan because it's a bit of an overkill right now - the PSU barely gets warm.

Another factor is the case. I have proper heavy cases and late-2000s cheap light cases, and those heavy cases seem to dampen the sound a lot. It's quite logical - sound is vibration, and it takes more energy to vibrate more mass. Lighter, flimsier cases seem to rattle quite a bit.

Overall, you've got to keep your expectations realistic. You can't eliminate noise completely in a retro system, but in most cases you don't have to settle with a jet engine. I've managed to get better thermals with a lot less noise with my systems, and there's still a few things I can do to make it better. Whenever I can't hear my HDD over the fan noise, that's unacceptable, I think.

Compaq Deskpro 2000/P2 300MHz/384Mb SDRAM/ESS ES1868F/Aureal Vortex 2
Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2
Asus P5Q Pro/Core2 Quad Q9400/2Gb DDR2/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi

Reply 1 of 36, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
songoffall wrote on 2024-03-15, 07:59:

Whenever I can't hear my HDD over the fan noise, that's unacceptable, I think.

I think it may also depend on what type of noise your ears are more sensitive to, and that can be subjective. To me, the noise of ancient IDE hard drive platters spinning at 7200 RPM is far more annoying than any noise that a modern Noctua fan produces, even while running at full speed. Nowadays, I always go for either SSDs, or CF cards depending on the rig's use case. As for the fans, I also prefer the ones from Noctua and usually pair them with either the ULNA or LNA adapters, depending on their purpose.

Lastly, having a modern, quiet PSU helps a lot as well. However, I find that sometimes, using an old case can be counter productive, because the PSU is mounted on the top in those. Modern PSUs generally expect to be mounted at the bottom, so that they can take in fresh, cool air from the outside. For that reason, even a modern PSU can sometimes be noisy when mounted to the top of an old case with limited airflow.

Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2024-03-15, 08:21. Edited 2 times in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 36, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thing people overlook is cable management. The better the cable management, the better the airflow, the better the airflow the less volume of air you need so you can run lower RPM fans to achieve the same temperature.

Reply 3 of 36, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FWIW, back when noisy PC:s were the norm, all the PC:s at my workplace got put in very efficiently silenced padded boxes (with internal fans & long folding air-vents); expensive but that was a cost neccessary to be able to think. And it was not only the fans back then, but also hard-drives that sounded like jets. And printers.

Reply 4 of 36, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-15, 08:17:

Whenever I can't hear my HDD over the fan noise, that's unacceptable, I think.

I think it may also depend on what type of house your ears are more sensitive to, and that can be subjective. To me, the noise of ancient IDE hard drive platters spinning at 7200 RPM is far more annoying than any noise that a modern Noctua fan produces, even while running at full speed. Nowadays, I always go for either SSDs, or CF cards depending on the rig's use case. As for the fans, I also prefer the ones from Noctua and usually pair them with either the ULNA or LNA adapters, depending on their purpose.

Lastly, having a modern, quiet PSU helps a lot as well. However, I find that sometimes, using an old case can be counter productive, because the PSU is mounted on the top in those. While modern PSUs generally expect to be mounted at the bottom, so that they can take in fresh, cool air from the outside. For that reason, even a modern PSU can sometimes be noises when mounted to the top of an old case with limited airflow.

My bad, I didn't make myself clear enough. Replacing the old fans with Noctuas actually allowed me to hear my HDDs. At this point, with Noctuas I mostly hear the airflow being blasted through restrictive grates, not the fans themselves. Old fans, those sounded like a rocket ship and would wake up people if I turned the PC on at night. Especially the CPU fan, a 65mm running at 10,000 RPM.

As for the HDDs. They are mostly relatively modern Seagate ATA drives and at 7200RPM you mostly hear the heads moving, not the drives spinning. I also have an old Seagate SCSI 4.2Gb and it sounds like... a thousand angry cicadas? A pig being slaughtered? It's more of a meme, I can't imagine tolerating the sound for more than a few minutes. I also have a truly ancient 270Mb Conner. It's loud, but the sound is kind of pleasant.

Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2

Reply 5 of 36, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2024-03-15, 08:20:

Another thing people overlook is cable management. The better the cable management, the better the airflow, the better the airflow the less volume of air you need so you can run lower RPM fans to achieve the same temperature.

At this point, I think my cable management is as good as it gets with a configuration like this. But then, I'll let you be the judge:

PNP25FE.jpeg

liqiweg.jpeg

Reply 6 of 36, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
songoffall wrote on 2024-03-15, 08:28:

At this point, I think my cable management is as good as it gets with a configuration like this. But then, I'll let you be the judge:

Cable management looks good, but you may want to replace those ancient PSUs. I have a similar one from Mercury (not actively used) and it's a noise/dust blaster, not to mention its questionable build quality.

Also, is that PSU mounted upside down? The air intake is supposed to be pointed downward, unless the case allows for pulling in air from the top.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 36, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-15, 08:35:

Cable management looks good, but you may want to replace those ancient PSUs. I have a similar one from Mercury (not actively used) and it's a noise/dust blaster, not to mention its questionable build quality.

Also, is that PSU mounted upside down? The air intake is supposed to be pointed downward, unless the case allows for pulling in air from the top.

I don't think that particular PSU has a secondary fan (or internal intake/exhaust) like modern parts - it's a simple design with vents on the opposite side to the single exhaust fan. Lots of old ATX power supplies are like that.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 8 of 36, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
songoffall wrote on 2024-03-15, 08:25:

hear my HDD

As for the HDDs. They are mostly relatively modern Seagate ATA drives and at 7200RPM you mostly hear the heads moving, not the drives spinning.

I run exclusively Hitachi 7K2000/7K3000 as bulk storage for that reason. Silent spinning, silent heads.
Turning off APM helps with stupid "energy saving" constant head parking https://github.com/Seagate/ToolBin/blob/maste … owerControl.txt

I also remember >10 years ago switching on Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) for my Samsung/Seagate, that dramatically quieted down heads.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 36, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-15, 08:35:

The PSU is already replaced, the air intake was from behind and it was quite miserable. It's not one of those newer PSUs that have 120mm fans and pull air from below.

vmhRJL2.jpeg

Even on the other PSU, the fan has been replaced with a Noctua and the grille has been removed and replaced with a wire-based option.

1N27JXz.jpeg

Reply 10 of 36, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've also removed the grate of my old PSU, filed off the sharp edges and replaced it with a wire-based one, which didn't eliminate the noise, but significantly reduced it.

Nice. The effects of removing airflow obstructions as much as possible are greatly underestimated.

Here's some more random fan knowledge: There's (at least) two kinds of fans: Generic ones, and ones optimized for pressure. For example, compare Arctic's Fnn and Pnn series. Use the former when you want a light breeze in the general direction of something, the latter when you need to move air through something (heatsink fins, grill, filter, ...) - i.e. almost all use cases I can think of. In fact, I don't even bother with non-pressure ones any more, seeing how they're almost the same price.

Reply 11 of 36, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Often, "silent" fans are only quieter because they move way less air. Worse yet, they are often fixed at the super low rpm they run at. This is especially the case with cheaper no name quiet fans. So many times I've had people replace all their fans with "silent" fans then come to me with overheating problems.

High quality quiet fans still move decent volume because they rely on advanced blade design and duct design to reduce air noise instead of just barely creating flow.

Reply 12 of 36, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2024-03-15, 23:14:

I've also removed the grate of my old PSU, filed off the sharp edges and replaced it with a wire-based one, which didn't eliminate the noise, but significantly reduced it.

Nice. The effects of removing airflow obstructions as much as possible are greatly underestimated.

Here's some more random fan knowledge: There's (at least) two kinds of fans: Generic ones, and ones optimized for pressure. For example, compare Arctic's Fnn and Pnn series. Use the former when you want a light breeze in the general direction of something, the latter when you need to move air through something (heatsink fins, grill, filter, ...) - i.e. almost all use cases I can think of. In fact, I don't even bother with non-pressure ones any more, seeing how they're almost the same price.

These days, with radiators, high density tower cooler stacks, air filters, and super fine mesh/grills, you definitely almost always need a fan with decent static pressure.

Reply 13 of 36, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-16, 00:51:

Often, "silent" fans are only quieter because they move way less air. Worse yet, they are often fixed at the super low rpm they run at. This is especially the case with cheaper no name quiet fans. So many times I've had people replace all their fans with "silent" fans then come to me with overheating problems.

High quality quiet fans still move decent volume because they rely on advanced blade design and duct design to reduce air noise instead of just barely creating flow.

Silent is also just impossible to achieve. About 20 years ago by brother was trying to silence his PC, once you fix one noise you started hearing another. He finally got it down to a bunch of silent fans, but still heard noise, it was the noise of the air being exhausted from the case. You couldn't hear the fans themselves, but the noise floor was so you could hear the air moving.

Reply 15 of 36, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-03-16, 01:41:
SScorpio wrote on 2024-03-16, 00:57:

once you fix one noise you started hearing another

Coil whine has entered the chat

That one is simple get old enough where you remember using these machines and chances are your tinnitus are much louder than any coil whine that has ever existed.

Reply 16 of 36, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grem Five wrote on 2024-03-16, 02:44:
elszgensa wrote on 2024-03-16, 01:41:
SScorpio wrote on 2024-03-16, 00:57:

once you fix one noise you started hearing another

Coil whine has entered the chat

That one is simple get old enough where you remember using these machines and chances are your tinnitus are much louder than any coil whine that has ever existed.

Yep. I'm just over 40 now. I can't even hear CRT whine anymore.

Reply 17 of 36, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to be able to follow the boot-up sequence of a (fanless) computer system developed at my workplace, just by listening to the power supply whine (about 18-20kHz) changing with load. Tinnitus from some too close noisy hard-drives fixed that eventually.

Reply 19 of 36, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-16, 23:52:

You can deal with coil while with silicone (but afaik not the bathroom kind) or maybe even a hotglue

Thanks, I can't hear the whine anymore. Or anything else for that matter.

Joking aside I had some pretty bad impacted wax last year that really affected my hearing in one ear. But it caused my tinnitus to go away while it was plugged. The pure silence was very odd after having the tinnitus for several decades.