VOGONS

First post, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm building a I7-980X machine (actually a Xeon W3680 but same thing essentially) and I have a Noctua NH-U9S cooler on it. At least on the test bench the Noctua does a fantastic job keeping the CPU cool at the typical modest overclock to 4 ghz. The northbridge is another story - on the bench it stays steadily in the mid-60s but if I'm doing a lot of downloading via ethernet it gets up to 75 degrees or so. The CPU mostly stays in the 50s by contrast. Apparently this is pretty typical of the X58 chipset, but I've read that the actual stock cooler for this processor - the Intel DBX-B tower cooler - is actually designed to circulate air on the northbridge heatsink as well. Is there a real advantage to using it instead? If not I'd rather keep using the Noctua.

Reply 1 of 2, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

75 isnt a terrible temp if you are hammering the chipset, you could alternatively attach a small fan to the chipset and hook it up to a spare chassis fan header, my X58 build has a fan for the chipset but I had to replace the chipset cooler to fit the fan.

Reply 2 of 2, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess you're right. I was downloading over 100 GB from Steam and I was a little alarmed at how hot it was getting but in gaming it was mostly in the 60s. But this is all on an open bench and part of my concern is how it will be in a case. I guess it comes down to airflow in the case...