VOGONS

First post, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CL-GD5429-based VLB video card.
Video BIOS is ok. POST doesn't complain 'bout missing video card.
But chip produces no HSYNC (pin 69)/VSYNC (pin 68) signals.
EVIDEO (pin 94) is high as expected.
ESYNC (pin 95) is floating and it looks odd. Even if I pull it high to +5V no sync is present.
628_utd-01b_cl542x_cirrus_logic_cl-gd5428_top_hq.jpg
Has anyone encountered similar issue before?

Last edited by froller on 2024-03-18, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 1 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With no 75ohm load and nothing on the monitor detect pins, it might have gone into monochrome synch on green mode. If there's nothing happening on green then yeah, got a weird fault.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 9, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-18, 15:54:

With no 75ohm load and nothing on the monitor detect pins, it might have gone into monochrome synch on green mode. If there's nothing happening on green then yeah, got a weird fault.

I tested it with monitor connected and checked for sync signals with oscilloscope directly on GD5429 pins.

Just in case if it matters

• RESET goes off
  • CLK looks ok (at least I clearly see 14.318 MHz sine)
  • Some activity on video RAM address lines present continuously (I haven't checked all the lines yet)
  • Some activity on VLB is present while POST checks memory and prints something to the screen
  • 74F245's are pretty hot (45-50°C)
  • GD5429 is slightly cooler (40-45°C)
Last edited by froller on 2024-03-18, 16:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similare issue and I had a trace cut in a way I couldn't see it, only at an angle it showed.
VLB video card "out of range" error, won't display image // GD5428 (solved)

Does your screen issue some kind of error warning? Could you post a pic?
Also hi res pics of the card? front and back.

Last edited by Nexxen on 2024-03-18, 16:18. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 9, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-18, 16:13:

I had a similare issue and I had a trace cut in a way I couldn't see it albeit at an angle.

No picture at all.
Monitor doesn't detect VGA signal as it have no HSYNC/VSYNC.
No error beeping at POST. PC boots as if VGA works ok but with nothing on the monitor obviously.

Reply 5 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
froller wrote on 2024-03-18, 16:17:
No picture at all. Monitor doesn't detect VGA signal as it have no HSYNC/VSYNC. No error beeping at POST. PC boots as if VGA wor […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-18, 16:13:

I had a similare issue and I had a trace cut in a way I couldn't see it albeit at an angle.

No picture at all.
Monitor doesn't detect VGA signal as it have no HSYNC/VSYNC.
No error beeping at POST. PC boots as if VGA works ok but with nothing on the monitor obviously.

Maybe one of the SN chips is dead? Can you trace the signal to see if H/Vsync go to one of those?

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … /SN74F245N.html

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 6 of 9, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-18, 16:21:

Maybe one of the SN chips is dead? Can you trace the signal to see if H/Vsync go to one of those?

H/V sync is analog signal and it goes to VGA connector almost directly (with some RC-chains)
SN74F245N's are the bus transceivers (tri-state bidirectional buffers) used to isolate chip from the bus to avoid bus conflicts. They certainly can affect the connectivity between VLBus and GD5429 in a highly disruptive manner. So they are suspects No.1

If one of SN74F245N is dead then BIOS can't initialize GD5429 and I wonder if it is required to show something at all i.e. black screen with correct sync signals.

In some modes GD5429 waits for high level on ESYNC pin to produce sync signals. And this pin looks floating.
It can be configured as input w/o pull-up or even not used at all. However it is routed to VESA Feature Connector along with EVIDEO.

Reply 7 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

make a boot floppy with VESA univbe.exe in autoexec with output redirected to >file.txt. this way you will at least see if the card is initialized completely and fully

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-18, 17:09:

make a boot floppy with VESA univbe.exe in autoexec with output redirected to >file.txt. this way you will at least see if the card is initialized completely and fully

this is a great idea

Reply 9 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-18, 17:09:

Assuming the output of univbe is redirectable, this a a good solution for the specific problem at hand. What I typically do to diagnose such kind of video card problems is connecting a null-modem cable to a serial port, and then using CTTY in autoexec.bat (or typing it blindly) to get the system use that serial port as "default I/O channel". Before running CTTY, the port settings should be initialized with MODE. If I remember correctly, the typical sequence is

MODE COM1:,9600,n,8,1
CTTY COM1

After that, you can interact with DOS programs that only access the screen via DOS (but not via the BIOS or direct screen memory access) from a terminal emulator program on another PC. For example, DOS's DEBUG works perfectly in this scenario to allow deeper inspection.

If you happen to have an MDA/Hercules (or clone) and a way to display the video output of that card, adding a secondary video card is another way to get access to a PC that boots but does not provide video output on the primary (S)VGA card.