VOGONS

First post, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I recently got this Wester Digital SCSI drive model WDE 4360 as untested. After powering on the drive tries to spin up, but can't. After a while of failed attempts, it makes a loud beep sound, then tries again and stops. I suspect it could be stuck bearing or heads, but I'm not sure. Anyone knows what could be the issue?

Reply 1 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My go to solution for such cases is,
put the drive on a table on its side
lift the drive up a few inches/cm
and
smash it on the side it was standing on, down onto the table

Another option is heating up the drive by having it in a warm/hot place for a while and then trying the drive again.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 12, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-23, 10:32:
My go to solution for such cases is, put the drive on a table on its side lift the drive up a few inches/cm and smash it on th […]
Show full quote

and

Another option is heating up the drive by having it in a warm/hot place for a while and then trying the drive again.

Were you joking with smashing the drive onto the table? I'm not sure about that method. Ill try to heat it up and post the results.

Reply 3 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kotel wrote on 2024-03-23, 13:36:
My go to solution for such cases is, put the drive on a table on its side lift the drive up a few inches/cm and smash it on th […]
Show full quote

and

Were you joking with smashing the drive onto the table? I'm not sure about that method. Ill try to heat it up and post the results.

Nope. It's actually a tried and true method,known to many old time ibm service technicians and likely others.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4 of 12, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-23, 13:43:
kotel wrote on 2024-03-23, 13:36:
Show full quote

and

Nope. It's actually a tried and true method,known to many old time ibm service technicians and likely others.

After heating the drive up and smashing it on the table, it started spinning, but now it sounds like an engine running when starting, so i suspect a head crash. Anyways ill go plug it onto a scsi controller and see what happens.

Reply 7 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's dead Jim.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can still use that drive to experiment with whatever you can find that might work on it.
Heck, maybe you can find some unknown trick that gets you a partially working drive again.

What's the worst that can happen? you manage to reprogram the motor drivers, making the discs spin up to such a high speed that they break off and through the casing, decapitating your neighbours prized petunias ?

have fun with it.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 11 of 12, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-23, 19:52:

my guess: head was stuck to plater, smashnig ripped it off
nothing lost opening the drive up at this point

But even without functional heads the drive should report the correct size right? Anyways, for people that have a similar issue, a solution might be putting it in a freezer overnight, then hitting it lightly. I managed to fix an seagate drive that had a similar issue.

Reply 12 of 12, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kotel wrote on 2024-03-27, 14:42:
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-23, 19:52:

my guess: head was stuck to plater, smashnig ripped it off
nothing lost opening the drive up at this point

But even without functional heads the drive should report the correct size right? Anyways, for people that have a similar issue, a solution might be putting it in a freezer overnight, then hitting it lightly. I managed to fix an seagate drive that had a similar issue.

without the head, when the drive initialize it will unable to read the calibrate data and the drive will report size as 0