VOGONS

First post, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I want to know if there is a difference between the VIA 6421 rROMs that have a SATA sticker on them and those that have a RAID sticker on them. Are there two different OP ROMs? I want to use these as a boot device but not as a RAID on a retro rig. How about the ones with no stickers?

Can I flash the ROM to a JBOD?

Attachments

• VIA.png
    Filename
    VIA.png
    File size
    343.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is some information about VIA 6421A, i have updated my bios to memphis alternate bios, but still for me it is not best for Win9x, so it waits in the box at the moment.

http://toastytech.com/files/w95stuff.html

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 2 of 7, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marxveix wrote on 2024-03-24, 23:14:

Here is some information about VIA 6421A, i have updated my bios to memphis alternate bios, but still for me it is not best for Win9x, so it waits in the box at the moment.

What one is better? The only one I know that might be better is the Promise one.

Reply 5 of 7, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
demiurge wrote on 2024-03-25, 01:24:
marxveix wrote on 2024-03-24, 23:14:

What one is better? The only one I know that might be better is the Promise one.

Promise should be faster yes, i do not have one, but i did not get dma working with 6421A@Win9x, i probably wanted sata to work fast, i give 6421A second try if it gets 90mb/s with Win9x. Promise S150 TX2 - Re: Promise TX4 Sata II PCI Card Windows 95/98/ME Driver.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 6 of 7, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-25, 02:13:

You can flash Silicon Image based SATA controllers to work in IDE compatibility mode instead of AHCI RAID. Search this forum. Lots of threads about it.

Yeah I tried that and couldn't get it to work at all.

astonsmith wrote on 2024-03-25, 13:15:

I have one of those cards with a hologram SATA sticker on it. Interestingly the ROM chip on mine is a fake, so it can't boot a PC.

Oh no, I was going to buy one with a hologram on it and want to flash the ROM. Is yours a green PCB or red like this one?

Reply 7 of 7, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
demiurge wrote on 2024-03-25, 21:43:

Oh no, I was going to buy one with a hologram on it and want to flash the ROM. Is yours a green PCB or red like this one?

Mine's got a green PCB, but the board layout is almost identical to the bottom brownish card in those pics (down to capacitor placement etc). I think I was just unlucky.