VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got myself a Thinkpad T23, that is very nice, i like it but i know that it has the Cirrus CS4299 chip which is not compatible with DOS. But I seem to remember that when starting DOS games from Win98 it was Windows98 that interpreted the audio of DOS games and made it work correctly... am I remembering correctly?

tnks

Reply 1 of 3, by Ralf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-03-25, 19:12:

I got myself a Thinkpad T23, that is very nice, i like it but i know that it has the Cirrus CS4299 chip which is not compatible with DOS. But I seem to remember that when starting DOS games from Win98 it was Windows98 that interpreted the audio of DOS games and made it work correctly... am I remembering correctly?

tnks

Sorry, it won't work just out of the box, just because you have sound installed the sound card in Windows 98. You need dos compatible drivers, configurate autoexec.bat to load everything etc...
Look in the sound section, maybe there is a working solution for you, you will need a lot of time and patients anyway....

I can remember that setting up sound in DOS was always a pain in the ass back in 2000, except you had a mainboard with an ISA slot.

Reply 2 of 3, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ralf wrote on 2024-03-25, 23:25:
Sorry, it won't work just out of the box, just because you have sound installed the sound card in Windows 98. You need dos compa […]
Show full quote
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-03-25, 19:12:

tnks

Sorry, it won't work just out of the box, just because you have sound installed the sound card in Windows 98. You need dos compatible drivers, configurate autoexec.bat to load everything etc...
Look in the sound section, maybe there is a working solution for you, you will need a lot of time and patients anyway....

I can remember that setting up sound in DOS was always a pain in the ass back in 2000, except you had a mainboard with an ISA slot.

i not know if there is a solition in my case… is totally a ac97 chip.