VOGONS

First post, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand it is more a matter of personal prefer and choice but what would you suggest for a Pentium 3 system ? Voodoo 3 agp or another agp card with 32bit support combined with a pci voodoo 2 of course the second option applies to almost any system with pci slot

Pentium III 1ghz Coppermine 750mb SBLive! Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Reply 1 of 11, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Voodoo3 is going to get you more performance (the 3000 is about the same as V2 SLI), but I believe it's not quite as good for game compatibility. If you went the V2 route it would give you the opportunity to go SLI in the future which is always fun. If you really want 32bit support then the V2 is your only option from those two.

For what it's worth, I have a P3 700 Slot 1 system with V2 SLI with a Matrox G200 and it's a lovely build. But, I'm putting together a Slot A build with a Voodoo3 3000 as well. I guess the answer is always - build both 😁

Last edited by Shadzilla on 2024-03-28, 09:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A tricky question. It also depends on the games you want to play and which Pentium 3 you are going to use. I am by no means an Voodoo expert but I would recommend a Voodoo 3 Agp card. I am using A voodoo 3 3000 apg with my pentium 3 3 800mhz system and it works like a charm for the games I am interested in it (1997 to 1999 gaming).

Not sure if true but you can read very often that single voodoo 3 is as powerful as voodoo 2 sli set up. So if you want to have the best glide experience without having to pay a fortune for 2 voodoo 2 cards the V3 would be the better choice.

Using a single Voodoo 2 for glide and another agp card could also be a smart choice. Like you said you could play games in 32 bit with the ot her card. Having access to some other rendering features that 3dfx does not support would also be great bonus.

There is not simple right or wrong answer I'd say. it depends on your budget and the games you want to play.

Reply 3 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentium 3 above 600MHz I'd give a Ti4200 and V2 in your case. This enables the features and speed from the Ti for Direct3D and Glide from the voodoo

Sub 600 the V3 would be OK as well, since the system won't be that much faster with a Ti.

Alternatively I'd recommend pairing Matrox with V2 (maybe SLI) for the better 2D performance and clear image.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 11, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

all the sugestions have their point , I have couple of pentium 3's , 850 and 1ghz . For now I'll build the 1ghz . From what I recall I must have 2 identical voodoo 2 and cables ( simply don't remember where is the second one ) , I also have a V3 3000 and V3 3500 TV . I also found in ebay for very fair price a MX440 128bit 128mb DDR , you don't see them often so I pick it for some build . I'm looking also for a Ti 4200 , they are bit more expensive . I think I'll start today with the V3 3000 and see

Reply 5 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MX440 is a very capable card as well. It matched the GeForce 2 GTS in performance under certain conditions. You may try to cope this with the V2.

In my opinion the V3 bottlenecks the P3-1000. But since you've got all the stuff already, you can try it out yourself 😀

Of and the second V2 does no longer need to be the same card any more. Just five into the drivers and look at the FASTvoodoo in particular.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 6 of 11, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2024-03-28, 10:53:

Pentium 3 above 600MHz I'd give a Ti4200 and V2 in your case. This enables the features and speed from the Ti for Direct3D and Glide from the voodoo

Sub 600 the V3 would be OK as well, since the system won't be that much faster with a Ti.

Alternatively I'd recommend pairing Matrox with V2 (maybe SLI) for the better 2D performance and clear image.

I put a Radeon 7500 and 2xV2 in sli on my Athlon 700 system.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 7 of 11, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
laios67 wrote on 2024-03-28, 16:38:

all the sugestions have their point , I have couple of pentium 3's , 850 and 1ghz . For now I'll build the 1ghz . From what I recall I must have 2 identical voodoo 2 and cables ( simply don't remember where is the second one ) , I also have a V3 3000 and V3 3500 TV . I also found in ebay for very fair price a MX440 128bit 128mb DDR , you don't see them often so I pick it for some build . I'm looking also for a Ti 4200 , they are bit more expensive . I think I'll start today with the V3 3000 and see

My V3 3000 sits in one of my socket 370 builds, with a Celeron 800/100 CPU (Have to try a P3 850/100, but I don't know if the MB supports 8.5x multiplier). On that system I only tried V2 in SLI with other primary cards, not V3.
"From what I recall I must have 2 identical voodoo 2 and cables" - I received the cable from main video card to Voodoo with one of the cards, and made the SLI cable myself from a FDD cable.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 8 of 11, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my opinion the V3 bottlenecks the P3-1000. But since you've got all the stuff already, you can try it out yourself 😀

Yes I also read that 1ghz is too much for voodoo 2 or 3 . But many people have used that configuration with no problem . To be honest I just finished the replacement of motherboard . It was the 850 PIII now it is 1ghz . The first motherboard had onboard sound this has to put one of the soundblasters in boxes and drawers . That will be my second query for help which one ? In the next couple days I'll check the system

Reply 9 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laios67 wrote on 2024-03-28, 20:34:

Yes I also read that 1ghz is too much for voodoo 2 or 3 . But many people have used that configuration with no problem . To be honest I just finished the replacement of motherboard . It was the 850 PIII now it is 1ghz . The first motherboard had onboard sound this has to put one of the soundblasters in boxes and drawers . That will be my second query for help which one ? In the next couple days I'll check the system

For Windows I'd choose the sound blaster live, very clear sound and wel supported and good drivers.

For Dos I'd choose an ess audio drive 1868 or Cmedia cmi8330. Both very compatible and pretty good sound 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 10 of 11, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Final setup Pentium III copper mine 1ghz voodoo 3 3000 agp 75mb memory sound blaster live ! Get a nice score ( at least I think so I haven’t done benchmark in past )

Attachments

• IMG_6674.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_6674.jpeg
    File size
    1.82 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Benchmarks are boring.
For actual 9x gaming use I think it's a great selection of parts and won't be disappointed