VOGONS

First post, by Return 0;

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Vogons Forum Members,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek assistance with two technical matters. But before delving into those, let me first provide an overview of my hardware configuration:

Shuttle HOT-433
64MB EDO-RAM 50ns (single module)
512KB cache 15ns
Promise Ultra 66
Cirrus Logic 5446 2MB
ExpertColor MED3931 OPTi 931
Pentium Overdrive 83@100
Windows 98SE

Now, onto the issues at hand. I've been attempting to integrate a Voodoo2 accelerator (Game Wizard 12MB) into this configuration. However, all attempts using GLIDE-based tests have yielded negative results, leading to application freezes. These freezes can occur after varying durations of use, ranging from seconds to several minutes, depending on the specific application. Notably, this issue doesn't arise when utilizing other forms of acceleration, such as DirectX.

For instance:

- CROC: Legend of Gobbos: the game freezes either in the menu or shortly after beginning a level, after a few steps. While DirectX works, it operates slower than Glide.
- MDK: the game allows for extended gameplay (around 15-20 minutes), but the "performance test" option freezes approximately 15-30 seconds after initiation.
The DirectX version functions flawlessly but at a significantly slower pace than Glide.

Interestingly, this problem doesn't occur when swapping the processor for a Cyrix 5x86 100GP (also overclocked to 150MHz).
Additionally, the issue does not occur when I swap the Voodoo2 for a Voodoo1 and maintain the POD@100 or even 110MHz (modified PLL circuit).
I kindly request assistance in determining the root cause of this issue. Could it be a case of incompatible Voodoo2 hardware with the processor?

The second inquiry pertains to the OPTi 931 sound card. SNDINIT only operates in full-DOS mode. However, when launching Tomb Raider, DOS is invoked within a window, resulting in a lack of sound. Is there a remedy for this? Launching the game from full-DOS mode does not resolve the issue because the CD-ROM, connected via the Promise controller, is not recognized in DOS.