VOGONS

First post, by AaronS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm using a 500GB M.2 SSD to IDE (44 pin, 2.5") adapter, and for some annoying reason the bios will limit the drives speed to UDMA2 but it should be capable of UDMA5 (if I place the old 60GB HDD in there, it correctly sets it to UDMA5). I also tried installing the Intel Application Accelerator under Windows 98SE but it didn't make a difference, it also says thats its capable of UDMA 1 2 3 4 5. The bios has a bunch of options for the IDE drive:

fTnsALp.png

PIO mode cannot be disabled (unless 0 is disabled, options are 0 -4).

I hope this isn't some annoying bug in the bios but at this point it looks like it probably is. Also the adapter is connected directly to the IDE header/port on the MB, so its not the 40 vs 80 wire thing.

The same adapter works at "full speed" on a Thinkpad T42.

Reply 1 of 17, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AaronS wrote on 2024-04-08, 04:47:

I hope this isn't some annoying bug in the bios but at this point it looks like it probably is. Also the adapter is connected directly to the IDE header/port on the MB, so its not the 40 vs 80 wire thing.

The same adapter works at "full speed" on a Thinkpad T42.

The 40 vs 80 wire detection problem is more electrical than physical. Soldering a wire between pins 30 (GND) and 34 (PDIAG#) will fool the system to always assume the connection is 80-wire thus allow you to set higher UDMA levels.

Some BIOS offers workarounds for handling 40 vs 80 wire detection (Host, Device or Both). For only a single disk, the workarounds may be helpful, but the results may be unpredictable with multiple disks as well as with optical drives.

EDIT: Can't see the image you posted... for some reasons imgur isn't loading correctly on my end...

PS: This post has some useful info about this.

Reply 2 of 17, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see the image...

But the fact that it offers ... very very old... single-word and multi-word DMA modes, and tops out at UDMA2, makes me think the system's bios just cannot handle it...

But OP says it correctly shows UDMA5 for a spinny disk. Curious.

I'd guess you are right that this is an 80-wire cable detection mishap.

Reply 3 of 17, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wierd_w wrote on 2024-04-08, 06:36:
I see the image... […]
Show full quote

I see the image...

But the fact that it offers ... very very old... single-word and multi-word DMA modes, and tops out at UDMA2, makes me think the system's bios just cannot handle it...

But OP says it correctly shows UDMA5 for a spinny disk. Curious.

I'd guess you are right that this is an 80-wire cable detection mishap.

Was able to see the image on another system... This is AMI BIOS (likely Core8). It indeed provides options for SWDMA/MWDMA even with newer chipsets.

Again, the issue is definitely with the adapter used. The PDIAG# pin is not grounded, thus the system thinks the disk is not connected via 80-wire and limited it to UDMA2.

For the 40 vs 80 wire issue, AMI BIOS does not explicitly tell you about this, but Award BIOS does. The only indicator you can check on an AMI BIOS is to see whether it reports UDMA2 or the maximum UDMA level depending on the disk or chipset.

Reply 4 of 17, by AaronS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes that checks out in Intel Application Accelerator, its seeing it as 40 not 80:

9c9ffFs.png
lUuR2Ph.png
wvtckEf.png

And you can see here compared with the 60GB HDD (only in the bios because I wiped the drive):

0Xdwncg.pngnjIFj3Q.png

That's annoying, I have no soldering iron / experience but if that's my only option then I'll have to give it a try. I assume every adapter is going to be like this on this motherboard, they'll all be wired up the same? Because like I said it does actually run at UDMA5 on my thinkpad.

Reply 5 of 17, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AaronS wrote on 2024-04-08, 21:51:
Yes that checks out in Intel Application Accelerator, its seeing it as 40 not 80: […]
Show full quote

Yes that checks out in Intel Application Accelerator, its seeing it as 40 not 80:

9c9ffFs.png
lUuR2Ph.png
wvtckEf.png

And you can see here compared with the 60GB HDD (only in the bios because I wiped the drive):

0Xdwncg.pngnjIFj3Q.png

That's annoying, I have no soldering iron / experience but if that's my only option then I'll have to give it a try. I assume every adapter is going to be like this on this motherboard, they'll all be wired up the same? Because like I said it does actually run at UDMA5 on my thinkpad.

Does your board's BIOS offer the "ATAPI 80-Pin Cable Detection" option? If it does, try fiddling it. There's a possibility one of the option will enable your adapter to use high UDMA speeds but the options does have side effects like causing other already working drives (such as optical) to be limited to UDMA2. As such, there's probably no perfect option that will make all your connected drives work.

It's possible your Thinkpad uses a different approach to detect whether it's 40 or 80 wire, similar to that BIOS option.

On the other hand, soldering a wire to manually ground the PDIAG# mainly works around this issue when "ATAPI 80-Pin Cable Detection" option is set to "Host" which is the default option and behavior.

Reply 6 of 17, by AaronS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately no, the bios is very limited, I actually spent a good few hours tracking down the latest update, and the only thing it offered was the ability to turn off Intel Hyper Threading on the Pentium 4 it has. I'm not sure if theres any hidden menus or whatnot but I don't think that there is.

I also did try removing the optical drive as you can see in Intel Application Accelerator, so that the HDD is the only drive connected. The optical drive is connected to a smaller connector, I dunno if I can get a cable of some kind and try plugging it into that, maybe that one has better speeds.

Also tried a mSata adapter, same thing, UDMA-2, I guess all these adapters are going to give the same result.

I think soldering a wire is my only option since it cant be done through software. At least if I mess up its only the adapter that'll get ruined.

Reply 9 of 17, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wierd_w wrote on 2024-04-09, 12:21:

It's an "m.2 sata"-> IDE adapter.
My guess is that it is 'IDE female'at the connector, and goes straight onto the motherboard.
No ide ribbon.

OK, if the OP isn't using an 80 conductor cable, then it's clearly an issue caused by the lack of an 80 conductor cable.

The OP could either ground pin 34 on the sata bridge or the OP could buy a cross over cable to use with an 80 pin cable.

40 pin crossover cable:

51m0GUuNmlL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Filename
51m0GUuNmlL._AC_SX679_.jpg
File size
29.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 17, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't see the 44 pin part of the first post, sorry--

Here's the goal--

ide44pinout.gif
Filename
ide44pinout.gif
File size
15.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've done mods for CF's and 40 pin DOMS before.

CF UDMA5 Mod.jpg
Filename
CF UDMA5 Mod.jpg
File size
42.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DOM Udma5 Mod.jpg
Filename
DOM Udma5 Mod.jpg
File size
39.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 17, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Intel Application Accelerator lets you set the mode, double click on the items in the parameters column. If it only allows you to set modes for UDMA2 and lower you can force the mode via regedit under the correct key (I did this on Win98 years ago to force a drive to UDMA 2 from PIO mode).
To find the key change the mode to a lower mode first, the search the registry, it requires a reboot. When you find the key you can change it to UDMA 5. You could probably change key for the cable type in the registry to 80 conductor too.

Reply 13 of 17, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2024-04-09, 16:27:
I didn't see the 44 pin part of the first post, sorry-- […]
Show full quote

I didn't see the 44 pin part of the first post, sorry--

Here's the goal--

ide44pinout.gif

I've done mods for CF's and 40 pin DOMS before.
CF UDMA5 Mod.jpg
DOM Udma5 Mod.jpg

Actually I modded a SATA to IDE44 adapter like this before and it indeed does the trick. I also have some IDE40 DOMs that also have this "limited to UDMA2" issue, but I haven't tried as I don't know how to open the DOM cases without damaging them (so I can reassemble back)...

I'm not sure how the original 40/80 wire problem got its name, but with the adapters available today, this problem appears entirely electrical: Ground the pin in question and everything will just work without major issues.

Reply 14 of 17, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSS10999 wrote on 2024-04-10, 01:13:

Actually I modded a SATA to IDE44 adapter like this before and it indeed does the trick. I also have some IDE40 DOMs that also have this "limited to UDMA2" issue, but I haven't tried as I don't know how to open the DOM cases without damaging them (so I can reassemble back)...

I'm not sure how the original 40/80 wire problem got its name, but with the adapters available today, this problem appears entirely electrical: Ground the pin in question and everything will just work without major issues.

Some of the doms have latches you can lift to get them apart and others will snap apart when pried with a slim shim, but some I’ve had to get out the glue to put them back together sometimes when it doesnt work out.

Reply 15 of 17, by AaronS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2024-04-09, 19:36:

Intel Application Accelerator lets you set the mode, double click on the items in the parameters column. If it only allows you to set modes for UDMA2 and lower you can force the mode via regedit under the correct key (I did this on Win98 years ago to force a drive to UDMA 2 from PIO mode).
To find the key change the mode to a lower mode first, the search the registry, it requires a reboot. When you find the key you can change it to UDMA 5. You could probably change key for the cable type in the registry to 80 conductor too.

I got it to show as UDMA-5 but its purely cosmetic, probably because it still thinks its the 40 conductor thing, I looked through my registry for a good while but pretty sure that's not in there since you can't set it between 40 and 80 as far as I can tell.
DTcJdUh.png

Apparently it can be easily done in Linux with "libata.force=80c"
https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26182.0.html

But for Windows I might have to make the modification.

EDIT: Also checked AMIBCP, there's no hidden options, the bios actually is that limited 🤣
f2hAF6B.png
There's also mention of UDMA6!

Reply 16 of 17, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Search for a key called MasterDeviceTimingMode in the registry (dword). If it is there the values are:
0x10010 UDMA Mode 5 (ATA100).
0x8010 UDMA Mode 4 (ATA66).
0x2010 UDMA Mode 2 (ATA33).
0x0410 Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 и PIO 4.

Reply 17 of 17, by AaronS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately not, the way I changed it like the above image (which gets ignored) was this line:
"PrimaryMasterMode"=dword:00000ff5

by default its set to ffffff (highest, no limit etc.).

What would that be under maybe I can just add it?